Nr3008 or nr707

JasonJCarney

If you are going to get a standalone amp then why get a receiver? Although it may not have all the features you want i would go with the umc-1. The price is right and supposedly should have better sound quality than the 707 if calibrated right. I dont think they even make a network 707 do they? I really dont care for the looks of the umc and i actually like a processor that is big (dont ask for my reasoning here) which the umc is not. But in the end the umc has all the latest codecs and has good sound.

Thought about the UMC-1 but the reviews are not great. Some like it and some don't. I have an

Onkyo now and like it so I feel

Comfortable with the onkyo's. I will be getting an amp in the future so I want the preouts. Wondering if I can save some cash by going with the cheaper ace and not notice a huge difference in sound quality?

Onkyo TX-NR3008------$1150.00

Pros:

Better power supply, better DAC's, better video upscaling, more power, better Audyssey EQ

Cons:

More $$$, large profile/heavy, more power but not needed with external amp, video upscaling not needed, better DAC's not needed for music

Onkyo TX-SR707-------$410.00

Pros:

1/3 $$$, smaller profile/lighter, HDMI video pass through, preouts for external amps

Cons:

Midrange quality power supply, lesser DAC's(if music becomes important), not a network receiver(NR)

For my $$$, I would choose the 707. As expressed before, my Onkyo TX-SR705 has performed flawlessly for over 4 years as just a receiver and a pre/pro.

Bill