Anybody recognize these?

Cornwalled

Hello everyone,

I saw this corner horn speaker on eBay and was wondering if any of you knew what it was? I'm thinking it MIGHT be a University but I really don't know. Whatever it is, it looks to be along the lines of those old corner horns from the 50's that EV, University and of course Klipsch made. If it is indeed one of those brands, it's going for ridiculously cheap, I mean yard sale prices here..LOL. Right now it's $38 with no reserve!

Check it out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1347657227

anyone have any ideas, please let me know..

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

It's probably not too bad of a speaker - University was generally considered in the second tier of manufacturers - after Trusonic, Altec, JBL, EV, Bozak and of course Klipsch.

I've heard a smaller version - same midrange and tweeter with 12" woofer in University's idea of an EV Aristocrat - and was distinctly unimpressed.

Beware of the shipping costs!!!

Of course, if you can pick it up, it might turn out to be a pretty good deal. I wouldn't count on finding a match for it soon, though.

Capt'n Bobcwm6.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Mobley:

I don't see how that's a corner horn, you can see the front of the woofer through the grill cloth. Isn't it just a speaker?

Tom

Tom-There's a rectangular outline in the upper left corner as well as a round one towards the right side a few inches lower making it a 3 way.cwm35.gif

I think it's a sort of design which was actually fairly popular in the 1950's. It looks like a "rear-loaded" corner horn. Electro-Voice, Klipsch, Altec, JBL and University all made variants on the basic theme, with varying degrees of success.

The idea is the woofer acts as a direct radiator down to a certain frequency. Below that the rear wave takes over and is funneled to a port (or slot, or tapered duct, depending on who's building the cabinet) in the back, where it presumably bounces off the corner of your room, and comes around the sides and top, making the walls an extention of the horn.

Or it could just be a big box with the corners cut off so it would fit better in the corner and be out of the way ... it's hard to tell from the pictures.

I hope this helps ...

Capt'n Bobcwm39.gif

Looks like the factory built version of the Kit I made as a teenager - I had two smaller versions that took 12" woofers and a 15" that I used as a center deep bass unit with a duel voice coil 15" woofer - They were not bass horn loaded - I seem to remember they were bass reflex. They could slide into corners or be used along walls. I liked the sound with my EICO tube preamp and EICO monoblock tube amps. The speakers, crossovers etc were all made by University. I coveted Klipschorns, however.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems