New Home Theater System Needs a Sub

Brian Fraz

Well, over the holiday weekend I picked up a combo deal that included two RF-52 II, an RC-52 II, and RB-41 II speakers. Well i hooked up the center channel and the front channels tonight and I really think I need to drop the money to get a good powered sub to bring the system to life (Was hoping it wouldn't need it, but I guess I should have known better). I have two questions that i think will need some massive amounts of reading on my part but was hoping to get some help from the community here.

First:

I haven't hooked up the RB-41's and wont get to for a while due to a painting job bout to take place in the living room. I did notice on the specs that these speakers low end is pretty high, 85 Hz. Should Is this going to blend well with the other speakers I have? Kinda hoping to get an idea before I hook them up and am caught off guard.

Second:

I have been reading for hours on powered subs, and searched these forums. As of yet I haven't really found anything suggesting a good sub to match with these or similar speakers. Most of my audio experience in the past has been of the car variety and I was a bit younger and dumber. Basically I want to get a sub to really fill out the lower end and make things come to life, but I was hoping to do it for the $350 range. After looking around I'm not sure that is going to be enough and I'll just end up disappointed.

I started looking at SVS cylindrical subs and was thinking their low end model for ~$700 might be more of what i need to go with. Then again i have little to no experience to lean on when making this decision. I have read in at least two different places that you should get as much sub as your budget will allow which made me lead towards the SVS sub again.

Anyway I'm rambling and its late, so ill cut myself off here. Any nudges in a good direction would be greatly appreciated

Some more info:
Room is approximately 15x30x10 = 4500 ft^3 with a sloped ceiling and 1/2 kitchen.
Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver
Don't have much space for sub, approximately 20" X 20" and can be tall (hence looking at a tube sub)

Not the best first post I could have come up with, but its late and I have been reading forums for ~4 hours.

[:)]

PS, This forum is freaking awesome. Could use some stickies for new guys (or maybe I just missed them?) but I definitely wasn't expecting a community this active when I found my way here.

PPS, This forum doesnt like Chrome, almost posted a giant wall of text but previewed it and noticed there was absolutely no formatting. Come back and try again with a quick copy paste using Firefox and looks like I formatted it properly. Glad i caught that this late [:)]

Welcome aboard. I have no experience with the SVS subs other than to say I have read some really nice reviews on them. I'll suggest a couple subs here for you in your budget that I have personal experience with however not exactly sure about the size specs on them (sorry about that). Your room is pretty big compared to mine so keep that in mind on my suggestions. Elemental design is an internet direct company that make quality home theatre subs. I purchased 2 A5-350's from them and they are awesome. They are too *** for your size requirments so they probably won't help you...but eD does make many other subs and I know people on this forum will be able to help you with them. Paradigm dsp 3200.... my favorite sub for looks. Seems more accurate than the 15 inch subs from eD but not nearly as loud. I believe it will fit in your space. Klipsch sub 12.... lower end as far as quality goes but I found it to be a great budget minded option. I beleive a member is selling one on the cheap in the garage sale section. Polk pws 505... another very budget friendly sub that gets louder than the price point would have you think. Those are the subs I have owned and can attest to their quality. The only subs I never really liked are some no name subs I picked up from "onlyfactorydirect" a couple years ago when I was first building my home theatre....they were really inexpensive and didn't suck but I returned them cause they just didnt seem very accurate. I have made the mistake (read as I had fun) starting out cheap and upgrading over the last couple years. Spent way more money than I needed to but also got alot of experience with different speakers and equipment along the way and had fun doing it. As a matter of fact I am still not done. I guess I won't be until I get to the top of the Klipsch RF line! lol.

I had the Onkyo tx sr608 until last week and I really like it. I moved it to my bedroom as I went with an onkyo model with preout in the home theatre in preperation for an external amp. I'm sure you'll be very happy with the sr609. Also just for clarity I only watch movies and play games. No music so I cannot attest to how well any of the previsouly mentioned sub will work for music. Good luck with your search and take your time. For me the search is half the fun.

Brian,

Welcome to the forum. I think your new setup will be very musical and sound great in HT providing you get a nice tight sub to handle the lows. If you don't mind buying used gear, let me suggest a few options.

Here is a very good deal on a very musical sub within 1.5 hours from you.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homesubw&1311611980&/Klipsch-RT-10D-

If you want to stay new with warranty, check this out. A very tight musical sub. Vanns ships free with no sales tax and full mfr's warranty. 50% off msrp.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/clearance/549046486/klipsch-xw-500d-black

Bill

The Klipsch RT-10D sounds like a great little adventure for today. Any idea on price range I should offer? Is $650 a great deal and would offering $550 cash be rude of me [:)]

As far as used gear, from what I can tell some of the best speakers built were designs from the 60's so why not get pickup a great deal on great gear. Thanks for the website I never would have found those on my own.

Speaking of which, could somone toss together a quick list of websites I should know about for home audio. I really forgot how much I like good speakers until i heard them again [:)]

Time to go spend some more time reading forums and looking into the sub options [:0]

Thanks guys,

The Klipsch RT-10D sounds like a great little adventure for today. Any idea on price range I should offer? Is $650 a great deal and would offering $550 cash be rude of me Smile

I would email him through audiogon.com and get some dialog going. Give seller your phone number and offer to drive down to pick up. Wait for phone call before you offer a lower amount. Be polite but persistant. This usually works well for me.

Bill

Thanks for the advice, it is kind of the route I was headed. I emailed him and said I would like to come get it. I would like to get the sub for a fair price for both of us, but you know, just but all of my other speakers so kind of cash light right now [:)]

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, made for some good reading on frequency response and room acoustics. Im only sure if one thing so far, i havent had nearly enough time to digest it all and I will never know until i start trying stuff out. Unfourtunatly, I can allready feel my feet slipping out from under me on this oh so slippery slope to bankruptcy [:P]

Well I ended up getting the RT-10D, had it hooked up for a day and a half now. And I just have to say thanks, It is a little more than I was planning on spending I suppose, but it ended up providing exactly what was missing.

I must say I am fairly impressed with how much bass it can fill the room with from such a little package. Now to just figure out the best way to get everything setup. Ahh but I suppose thats for another thread :)

Thanks for all of your suggestions, deffinitly got me into a sub that is a good fit for the application.

Well I ended up getting the RT-10D, had it hooked up for a day and a half now. And I just have to say thanks, It is a little more than I was planning on spending I suppose, but it ended up providing exactly what was missing.

Brian,

Way to go. I am glad you got it. I only wish it was only 1.5 hours from me for that price.[:@][:D] I have an RSW-10d which uses the same active driver and only one of the RT-10d's passive drivers. It is the most musical sub I have ever heard. Very tight and fast. I could only imagine the RT-10d being even better sounding with the extra passive driver and more power.

Like my RSW-10d, your sub will not dig to the depths of a big ole 15 inch sub, but should provide you with plenty of clean tight bass that is very musical and more than enough low end grunt for HT.

Enjoy,

Bill