Klipsch Jubilee upgrades

sy247

"5) You might think about later adding horn-loaded subwoofers to add back the octave below 32 Hz that the Jubs really won't produce. It's a big upgrade - and DIY horn subwoofer designs can be had for $500US total cost to you (assuming US prices on Tang Band drivers). You'll need access to a table saw, a hand drill, and good 18mm Baltic Birch. You'll also need about two 300-500 W SS amps to drive the horn subwoofers. The Crown XTi series amps have built-in PEQ and crossover filters (48 dB/octave L-R!) for a low price (less than $400US)."

Chris,

Could you provide some more information..... 2 subs or just one ? How about the Danley kit ?

Thanks

Could you provide some more information...2 subs or just one? How about the Danley kit ?

If your pocketbook will stand the cost, I'd recommend something like the Danley DTS-10 tapped horn kit. For the price, you're getting more subwoofer than you'll probably need.

There are folks here that will disagree with this suggestion, saying things like "...that's a home theater sub--good for only LFE reproduction..." or words to that effect. I will differ from that crowd, but the reasons for recommending this sub for full-time use depend on more in-depth understanding of the sub and where it's crossed over, i.e., I cross from the Jubs to the subs at 40 Hz--so the subs' pass band is ~17 to 40 Hz).

If you are doing it yourself, I'd recommend two units of the SPUD design that can be found on the DIYAudio site. Or, if you have the room, I'd recommend a conventional folded horn design. I don't have the floorspace for a conventional horn-loaded sub, so the two SPUD tapped horn subs work very well, indeed. The total cost for materials was $500US for two units, but required access to a table saw and other woodworking gear.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

• 1 month later...

I will do a lot more listening over the coming week or two and report back.

Any update yet?

Since your last comment, I've finally gotten around to ordering a pair of TAD's. Not delivered yet....supposedly they will be here in 4-6 weeks however, from what I saw of others who bought them, there is always the chance that 4-6 weeks might turn into 4-6 months so I guess I'll be patient.

Nice thing about having the DX.... I can swap the K69's for the TAD's, punch a button or two and be done.

• 11 years later...
On 6/20/2011 at 7:47 AM, sy247 said:

I got everything rigged up this weekend and it sounds very good indeed. A very different presentation to the tubes and the passive crossovers. I think the Jubilees really seem to like some solid state grip on the LF. I am very impressed. The sound also seem a lot more together, if that makes sense? Maybe the time alignment of the drivers? Sometimes I used to find the there was a bit of harshness with electric guitar or brass but the sound seems to be a lot smoother and more even. But still with a lot of detail. The biggest surprise is my turntable. I have never heard it sound so good. I would say that the sounds may have lost a little delicacy and transparency compared to the valves but it has gained so much in other areas and as we know hi-fi is about compromise and I think the plus points outweigh anything lost. I will do a lot more listening over the coming week or two and report back.

Hi @sy247, I just came across this thread and was wondering if you still have this system whether you have made any changes/improvements since?