Demoing Quicksilver Tube Amps - advice?

aj01

I've been loaned a set of Quicksilver Mid Monos to demo on my system. I'm kind of curious how these would compare to VRDs or other tubs amps? I had been thinking about staying SS with a Musical Fidelity preamp and McCormack DNA-1 amp, but there's a midrange hiss out of the McCormack that drives me a little crazy (have been running a rotel amp that is dead quiet, but looking for an upgrade). Now I'm trying the Quicksilvers to see if I like tubes better?

I'm not really interested in a record player right now, but feel free to make suggestions or pick apart my current system...

Listening setup this week:

Juicy Music Blueberry

Quicksilver Mid Monos

LaScalas (fastrac horn, altec 902 drivers, alk gentle slope crossovers @500 and 5800, CT-125 tweets)

Klipsch THX subs

input - i170/iTouch, cd player (optical out) - into PS Audio DAC iii

• Like 1

some of the quicksilver amps use 8417 power tubes. the 8417 has twice the transconductance of tubes like 6550 and kt-88's and almost 3 times the transconductance of el-34's, 6l6's, 5881 power tubes. It basically gives them more gain. the bad news, the 8417 are out of production and there is no substitue, market is drying up. conversion to 6550/kt-88 is possible and easy, but you loose about 40% of the max rated power you would get using 8417 tubes unless you also modify the amp and add a gain stage.

some of the quicksilver amps use 8417 power tubes. the 8417 has twice the transconductance of tubes like 6550 and kt-88's and almost 3 times the transconductance of el-34's, 6l6's, 5881 power tubes. It basically gives them more gain. the bad news, the 8417 are out of production and there is no substitue, market is drying up. conversion to 6550/kt-88 is possible and easy, but you loose about 40% of the max rated power you would get using 8417 tubes unless you also modify the amp and add a gain stage.

It depends what version he has the old amps can be sent back to the factory and reworked, the new mid-monos are EL-34 based.

From Quicksilver:

Now that you no longer have any 8417 tubes, what do I do with my 8417 Mono Amplfiers?

We can offer you the following if your 8417 Mono Amplfiers have not been previously modified: For $250/pair (plus cost of new tubes), we can modify your amplifers to use EL34 output tubes by changing the front end circuitry and the bias circuitry. We also replace the 12BH7 with a 6922. This modification must be done at Quicksilver and comes with a one year warranty.

For original owners of Quicksilver 8417 amplifiers we will give you $900 trade-in toward a pair of new chrome chassis Mid Mono Amplifiers. Returned amplifiers should be complete, with tubes, but do not need to be in working condition. At what bias should I set my Quicksilver amplifiers?

These are the newer versions and are running KT88 tubes (you can also run EL34s). After a couple hours of listening I'm really starting to like them. It just has a really clean sound with a lot of detail. They're ~50W amps, so plenty of power for my La Scalas.

• Like 1

I've been loaned a set of Quicksilver Mid Monos to demo on my system. I'm kind of curious how these would compare to VRDs or other tubs amps? I had been thinking about staying SS with a Musical Fidelity preamp and McCormack DNA-1 amp, but there's a midrange hiss out of the McCormack that drives me a little crazy (have been running a rotel amp that is dead quiet, but looking for an upgrade). Now I'm trying the Quicksilvers to see if I like tubes better?

I'm not really interested in a record player right now, but feel free to make suggestions or pick apart my current system...

Juicy Music Blueberry

Quicksilver Mid Monos

LaScalas (fastrac horn, altec 902 drivers, alk gentle slope crossovers @500 and 5800, CT-125 tweets)

Klipsch THX subs

can't really improve on what you have listed. what music are you listening to right this minute, maybe i can diss that....[H]

Just make sure that the amps are quiet enough for you. Like yourself, hum or hiss is unlistenable in an amp no matter how good the sound quality is. As far as comparisons go, the sound may actually be more determined by whether you use an EL34 or KT88 as the output tube. As good as SET amps sound wit Klipsch speakers, 50wpc also has a very nice and different sound. Try rolling some different types of outputs tubes through the amps if you have the option as that should give you a good feeling for the amp.

Not applicable to the Mid Mono.

Juicy Music Blueberry

Quicksilver Mid Monos

Klipsch THX subs

can't really improve on what you have listed. what music are you listening to right this minute, maybe i can diss that....Cool

I'd have to beg to differ! Someone needs to take a photo of the business end (under chassis) of the Mid Mono and then look at the under chassis of the other amp mentioned.... THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.

The Mid Mono is a nice amp no denying that.... but it ain't that nice hence the $1200 less price tag.

I looked online for a photo of the mid monos and there are a couple of photos over on audioasylum. Just a quick glance between photos does show the build quality difference!

From my earlier question: There is a small source signal that runs through the preamp when both the gain and volume are turned all the way down. I sent an e-mail and this is expected.

• Like 1