RB-61 Crossover Question

KPett

I recently purchased a set of RB-61's. This is the first set of higher end speakers that I've purchased and I am relatively unfamiliar with speaker trouble shooting. My issue is that one of the speakers produces no sound from the bass cone and the tweeter plays at a very low volume. In order to make sure that the cone/tweeter was not damaged I switched the suspect crossover with the functioning one from my other RB-61; the speaker worked fine. I also put the suspect crossover in the functioning speaker and the same issues were apparent. All in all, this leads me to believe that something in the crossover is damaged.

I have not been able to find much banter on the internet surrounding people who have had similair issues with this speaker model. If anyone could offer any other possibilities as to why the speaker is not working it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you do believe that I have a damaged crossover how would I go about fixing/replacing this part?

Thanks for any advice

• Klipsch Employees

I always suggest connecting the speaker using the top red and the bottom black binding post. Doing this will confirm that the "jumpers" are working. IF NO sound comes from any part of the speaker, check the jumpers.

If sound does come from a part of the speaker, the jumpers are ok.

Once you have the speaker open, connect the speaker wire to the woofer using no crossover. If it plays "ok" then the woofer is ok.

You can do the same for the tweeter, but remember to watch your volume. you can hurt the tweeter with a small amount of bass.

If it is the crossover and you have a soldiering iron we can talk you through the fix...If not we can sale you another network.

• Like 1

Trey,

I connected the speaker using the top red and bottom black binding posts and a little sound was produced. I then wired up both the woofer and tweeter directly, both produced sound. Through the same amp/speaker wires the functional rb-61 works fine. I have a soldiering iron. What next?