Need Conformation - Two Klipsch La Scalas I Picked up on Side of the Road

Onyx77

Hello everyone, I am brand new to the forums here. Did some researching over the past two days after the following happened:

I was driving down the road when I spot two huge boxes at the end of someone's driveway. I stopped and the man told me there were a La Scala home built speaker set that was built by a master carpeter. The carpenter owed this man a debt and they ageed to pay with the speakers. m was just married and lives in a 1300 sqft house and the wife told him it was time for them to go. He helped me load them up and I took them home. I unladed and have done some research over the past few days and have hooked them up without an amp to my stero.

I knew nothing of them a few days ago. There is alot of information around and I did spend about 4 hours researching them from the history of the company to the home builds people have been doing. I am going to attach some pictures of them as well as a picture of a car amp that I am planning on hooking up to really test them out.

Can a few of you nice folks please comment as to the design quality, components, and if I can use the amp pictured to give it a real test run? Should I keep them if they are built correctly?

Thanks in advance, Much appreciated.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here are the pics

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to tell what the drivers are since the pics don't really allow identification.

The squawker horn is a Speakerlab horn. The amp is a car audio amp....so unless

you have a 12v supply to power it with and a preamp to control the volume with,

you probably won't be using that amp.

Hibuck....

They probably definitely are worth keeping. It could be a helluva find!

Get a receiver and see how they sound....... (As mentioned, that is a Kenwood car audio amp that rund on 12v. I wonder if the original builder/owner ran them using a car stereo deck with that amp; using a voltage inverter).....

You could always replace the aftermarket drivers with Klipsch drivers; but I think the hardest part will be matching them to the (custom) Xover.

Good Luck!

The configuration looks nominal. The tweeter is an early T-35A (2 watts cont/5 watts peak 18 dB/oct above 3500). The squawker looks like an Atlas PD-5VH (correct, it is is, wrong if it is a PD-4). The crossover needs an upgrade or replacement, look for original Type AAs and replace the capacitors or have Bob Crites build you a set. The metal Speakerlab horns were likely good copies of the K-400. I'd keep them until proven bad. pull the bottom hatch off and tell/show us what woofers are in there. You should swap them for real K-33s from Klipsch or a pair of stamped Crites woofers (made to pre-80s Klipsch specs)

With new Klipsch design crossovers they should sound very good.