Chorus 2. Blown Tweeter?

chorus2

My left Chorus 2 distorts at a loud volume and, at certain mid-high frequencies. Klipsch customer service said the problem is most likely a blown tweeter.

I am wondering if any other Klipsch owners have blown one or more speakers. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hopefully, this should be an easy fix. I will order it from Klipsch, and swap in the new one.

Thanks,

chorus2

Just buy the diaphram, it is real easy to replace. A friend of mine blew one on a Chorus II when his little one had the volume full blast and he then turned on the receiver with source set to radio.

It takes about $20 for the diaphram kit, and you can do it yourself. I would point you to a thread that described it in detail, but it looks like the thread was deleted from the system.

Mike.

chorus2

Although Klipsch drivers are very durable, an amplifier that is clipping can destroy a tweeter rather quickly. Not saying that is what happened to you, but (depending on amp) if you were past the 12 o'clock position on your volume dial when your tweeter blew, that is probably what happened.

I found out the hard way how to blow a tweeter(s). I thought I was listening to my system at normal setting and then one day I had very dead sounding highs. Turned out I had enough +db's added from the eq and the receiver to support another 5 pairs of speakers (+12db total!!). Additionally I found that there wasn't much usable volume control either. It was either off or too loud for the moment in just one notch (about 2 degrees turning). So I ran the eq almost flat, defeated the receiver's tone control, kept the loudness engaged and I'm not really missing anything. Total tone db input? 1.75db, and it sounds fine. So yes, the amp was probably clipping at the insane +12db and it didn't have to be turned up hardly at all. The tweeter baffles were installed by myself with little more than a #1 Philips screwdriver and an 11/32" open-end wrench. Took about 15 minutes.

------------------

Tom

KLF-20 Mahogany

Carver Receiver MXR-150

Yamaha PF-800 Turntable/ Sure V15 Type V Cartridge

Carver TL-3100 CD

Yamaha K-1020 Cassette

dbx 1231 EQ

dbx 3bx Series Two

H.H. Scott 830z Analyzer

Monster Interlink 300 mk II

Original Monster Cable