RC-3 peeling vinyl repair question

lel

I currently have an RC-3 with a vinyl slightly peeling of the sides. It looks like it has shrunk a bit and will not cover the exposed area if I just try to put some glue on it. Is there a better way to repair it? Can I buy the vinyl that will work for this application? Here is a picture:

Photobucket

That's not going to be easy.... at all... I am thinking that other than removing all of the vinyl (use a heat gun or hair dryer on "high" and pull it off...) and then applying veneer, the easy way would be to cut off that piece of vinyl, and the one on the other side, and paint the two edges satin or semi-gloss black.

If you remove all of the vinyl by using a heat gun (and it's not easy...) then you could clean, sand and repaint the entire cabinet with satin or semi-gloss.

Hope that is an idea you can consider.

[H]

removing the veneer is the best way but it's so hard... not easy at all... leave it to carpenter or cover whole the box in a new layer of thin MDF (for example 1/5") and glue it ... it will gain some wight but the final result is good and its easier than removing all the old veneer

I will consider paint and veneer. Although I had no experience with veneer it looks like a manageable first project (I am not talking about covering the whole speaker, just the sides and those little areas where the sides are attached).

Should I look for a veneer in a local Woodcraft store or are there well known places online who also sell it?

Jason, if I ignore the front I do not have to do anything. The grills already hide the problem, but I know that it is there. I have bought this speaker in current condition, but eventually I will need to sell it (when I find RC-7 to replace it), so I want to fix it.

Is it possible to buy a black vinyl and use it instead of veneer? This speaker's originally finish is vinyl, I am just not sure I can get it...

Go to www.joewoodworker.com and look at paperbacked veneer. The least expensive will be walnut, oak or birch (~$45 - ~$55). You would buy a "1/2" sheet. Or check with Lowes, Home Depot, etc. for a small sheet. There are also vinyl "veneer" products on the market. Either method will require removal of the drivers, surface prep for veneer means removal of old vinyl or sanding it to make the surface rough enough to absorb and retain the glue for veneer. Surface prep for the vinyl would require removal of the shrunken pieces and surface prep so the new will "stick". Trying to do it with "vinyl" is probably more tricky than normal veneer because of getting it to lay flat, blending corners, etc.