Subwoofer Upgrades

StephenM

• 3 weeks later...

For those interested, I pulled the trigger on a single PC12-NSD for now, with the possibility of a second in the future. The choice was largely based on Ilkka's rather detailed measurements at hometheatershack of the PB10-ISD, PB12-NSD, and the vaunted PB13-Ultra.

Suffice it to say,the PB12 outperformed it's little brother in every meaningful aspect: THD, group delay, spectral decay, and spectral contamination. Of course, the PB13 outperformed the PB12 in every meaningful aspect as well...however, in the areas (read, volume levels) that most counted to me, the differences were mostly negligable.

Basically, I came to the conclusion that the volume levels that mattered the most were the 95dB and 105dB markers for Ilkka's 2 meter ground plane test. By happy coincidence, a 2m ground plane SPL should be roughly the same at the SPL at the listening position in my room for a given input level. Using the 95dB marker (-20dB from reference), I figure I capture about 99.9% of my listening. At this point, the PB10 is already starting to struggle a bit, with a peak of 10% THD at 20Hz and 7.5% THD at 80Hz. Both the PB12-NSD and the Ultra are loafing along at this point with under 5%THD across the 20-80Hz band.

Of course every once in a while, I like every other guy on here, like to turn it up, which brings me to the 105dB marker. At this point, the PB10 is out of gas. Power compression is obvious, THD hits 25% at 20Hz and nearly 15% at 80Hz. Here the Ultra clearly separates itself from the PB12, with very low THD across the band. However, even the PB12 stays under 10% THD at this point with minimal compression. Frankly, that's good enough for me, especially considering those levels are once in a blue moon, and the cost of the Ultra.

Of course, the current model PC12-NSD should be somewhat better than the old PB12-NSD that was tested: driver updates and the move from the old 325W BASH amp to the newer 400W DSP Sledge. So all in all, I'm guessing I should be satisfied.