Need help with side surround recommendation.

recycleman

Hello, I've been trying to figure out through research on this site the best surround option for my system but thought you good folks could give me some help in this regard if I just asked! My system is as follows: Klipsch Forte II Fronts, RC-62 center channel and Denon avr3802 receiver along with a ksw-12 sub. I know this is a bit of a mishmash. From what I have read, a good match for the Forte's would be the Heresy's. My wife would like something a little smaller to hang on the wall and we know how important it is to keep our wives happy. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Well, if you are looking for wall mounted speakers, I'll throw out the RS-52s. Great speakers, mount easily, and are not overly noticeable on the wall (although they are really quite large). If you need something that is less intrusive, consider in-wall reference speakers or maybe the Klipsch Gallery speakers (although I have no idea how they sound).

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums! Indeed, your system is "mishmash" but you still have an incredible system that probably most of the people you know do not have. [:D]

I have a dedicated theater room but it would be difficult for me to hang Heresy speakers for surrounds. I would think the RS-52 or RS-62 would work well for you.

How does the RC-62 sound with your Forte's? I would think they sound quite different since they are from totally different design configurations, woofer and tweeter variations, crossover differences etc. I know some guys use an Academy with the Heritage speakers if you cannot use a Heresy or another Forte II for a center channel.

Hi Youthman. You are right in saying that the rc-62 and Forte's do sound quite different. I bought it not even thinking that there would be such a difference in the sound. I thought Klipsch was Klipsch. They still do sound good though I and could definately do worse.

I have read on these forums about using an Academy as the center or a Heresy or Forte also. Again, if I do that the Heresy will be the only move realistically for the surrounds and I go back to keeping my lovely wife happy! I will take a look at the 52's and 62's. Thanks a ton for the recommendation and help

• Moderators

I thought Klipsch was Klipsch.

I didn't know about "Timbre Matching" until I joined this forum. Klipsch makes certain speakers that are Voice Matched or Timbre Matched to each other. They have the same characteristics, sound qualities and are designed to be together to maintain a consisten sound when played together and so that there is a seamless transition between one speaker to the next when a sound pans from one speaker to the next.

They still do sound good though I and could definately do worse.

Absolutely.

As for a matching center I think the KLF-C7 would match the Forte II quite well being the the horns are very simular. As for the side surrounds any one ot the

three RS-42, 52, or 62 depending on your budget. If price is no object the the RS-62s would be the way to go(But they are the BIGGEST).

...a mistake that many HT enthusiasts make is neglecting to get a full-spectrum surround set of speakers. If it's just movies...it won't matter that much.

But if you go with any serious 5 channel reproduction (SACD, DVD-A, all the new Dolby and DTS HD stuff), you're going to get full range sound sent

to the surrounds. You need speakers with full range capability. No recommendation on model...just do the best you can.