Need recomendations for false wall on K Horn

Taz

I love the K Horns I Got. However I need to build a false wall for one of them. Should I build it to the height of the speaker, to the ceiling. How far from existing wall should I extend false wall. 4ft would be convient, don't think SHMBO will tolerate 6ft. Might be able to get away with 5ft.

I can get 3/4 in MDF with veneer to match speaker, or I can get plywood with thin layer of MDF under veneer. Speakers are so purty I would like to match if I can. But also wonder if Sheet Rock like the real wall is made of would balance the sound better. Have thought of putting 3/4 in on wall to match false wall and speakers.

Ok guys and gals, pick it apart, throw rocks, give me ideals or suggestions. All will be gratefully recieved.

According to PWK, 4' on a side is all the Khorns require and you're just extending the bass horn so no need to make the corner taller than the bass cab. That makes it convenient when using 4' x 8' sheets of plywood. Beyond the dimensions, the options are practically endless. PWK originally made FC's framed with 2x4's but most of the corners I've seen are plywood and/or MDF - the more layers, the better but keep in mind that with 2 or more layers, the corners get bulky and very heavy and will meed to be braced. I used one sheet each of ply and MDF with another sheet of damping material (Dynamat-like) sandwiched in-between and 2"x1" oak strips to brace (per speaker) but search the forum and you'll find lots of good ideas - surely one will suit your needs. Have fun!

Instead of building the false walls, have you given any thought to enclosing the backs, seems to be a much cleaner application, and you can move then anywhere. I have done this with excellent results, you may want to chat with some of the guys that attended the Klipsch Spring Gathering at my house last year (Mark1011, JC, Coyette, Winchester21, Ibslammin) they gave pretty good reviews. Of course I have made other modifications to the Khorns.

Cigarbum

I would put studs in there for sure. Nothing is worse than a floppy wall with Khorns! I went from firm walls to floppy ones (when we moved), and back to firm ones when we rebuilt the room, and the clear progression was bass & authority, no bass & no authority, back to bass & authority. Frankly, I would use 3/4 ply on the front and back, screwed and glued into 2 x 4s, 16" O.C. (or even more closely spaced) and stuff the space between the ply sheets with insulation, or ???? In the past, Warfdale or Bozak, or some such, used to stuff their enclosures with sand. A church in San Francisco put in a false wall made of just studs and sheetrock, and it sucked all the bass out of their organ music. They ended up stuffing the wall with some firm material.

You could get vennered plywood, or glue on a hardwood layer to match your Khorns.

The artificial corner in the revolving corner anechoic chamber at Klipsch is taller than a Khorn by quite a bit, I don't know if it is wider than 4 feet out from the corner. Klipsch's 4 foot fiqure may have been a minimum. I think I recall that he said you could get something like "90% of the performance" ... maybe it takes a wider &/or taller corner to get 100%