I Need More bass... (and why I'm so greedy)

Ok, so I go to college. Well that's during the day. My 4sats+1sub do just fine during the day, too. However, I don't feel as though I'm disturbing enough people when we host a party (which is often the case on weekend nights) The sats are plenty loud, but there's just not enough coming from the one sub. So here's what it comes down to. Can I add an extra sub to my 4.1's and if so, what/how/wheredoiget/howmuch. Whew...thanks in advance smile.gif

i have the exact same problem and want to know the same thing biggrin.gif

some said you can add second sub by connecting the whole system to a reciever. but i don't want to have to buy a reciever, is there any other way to connect another sub?

Here's what I did...

I went to Radio Shack and got a plug adapter that I plug into the sound card output and splits into 2. Then I have a patch cord that has an 1/8 inch plug on one end and at the other it has the red and white RCA plugs that plug into the extra sub's line level inputs. That way I can plug the pro's and my sub to the same sound card output. Or you can do what Friend said, just run speaker wires from the sats output on the pro sub to the speaker level inputs on your new sub. I guess that would probably be the easiest and best way. Though I tried it his way and I ended up having to turn the volume up really high on the extra sub in order for it to be useful.

If you want a cheap sub that can definitely pound, you can get a 10" 100 watt rms powered sub at Radio Shack for $100 to $200. I'm not sure how much it is now, but I got mine on sale last year for $100 and they always have sales. Or go to Best Buy and pick up an Audiosource sub. They have all sizes and they are at damn good prices ($100 to $300). All these subs play a lot of bass good and loud, which should be just what you need for a party. I used my Radio Shack sub for an outdoor party with about 150 to 200 people there and it was pounding.

But if you want a good sub with really good sound quality get a Polk Audio. They run between $250 to $600. Or you can get an Accoustic Research (AR) for a little cheaper.

If you have a newer soundcard that has a sub out, just leave it active and hook your new sub to it.

When you start using "Y" splitters you're doing bad things to your sig quality.

ADS2000,?? decoders or receivers with the 5.1 outs?

The splitter I use doesn't do anything to the sound quality or volume. My pro's sound exactly the same with or without the splitter. Now if I had just gotten the crappy splitter that radio shack had, then maybe it wouldn't sound as good.

Oh yeah, that is a good idea if you have a 5.1 sound card. But some 5.1 cards don't use the .1 channel useless your using a 5.1 source.

Tripper joe, that 2 sub 2 sat set is just two 2.1's put together ($400 from klipsch).

K27-R, the splitter I have is a cable type of thing that is about 6 inches long in all . It has a male 1/8" plug on one end to plug into the soundcard, and it splits right after that plug into 2 cables that are about 5 inches long and at the end of each of them is a female 1/8" plug. And the cord that goes to my extra sub is like that cord that comes with a portable cd player so you can plug it into a receiver.

The only problem with using the splitter is that you have to control the volume on your computer, not on you pro's. So you have to find a good volume on your pro's and you extra sub that sounds balanced and then not touch those controls. Instead use windows volume controls.

This is what the top of the package says for the splitter I got at Radio Shack.

Radio Shack cat. # 42-2463a

Y-adapter Headphone Cable

For connection between two headphones and amp/receiver.

Stereo 1/8" mini plug to 2 stereo 1/8" mini jacks.

That's why when I hooked my extra sub to the sat outs I had to turn the extra sub up really high in order for it to be useful. But it does work that way (badly), and it's the only way to do it if you want to adjust the extra sub's volume with the pro's volume control.

The only other way is like I said before, a splitter and using the windows volume control to change the volume. It's kind of a pain in the butt, but it sounds alot better.