DIY for a sub 12?

enhanced250

Building a sub is an excellent first speaker DIY project, its a box with a hole, nothing simpler, except maybe a tube with end plates. Improvements are more a question of what you want, ability to customize the design, but I suspect you don't have to go far down the road to improve on building quality just by using better materials, heavier panels, more bracing etc. than is practical in a consumer product.

In order to build a Sub-12 clone you'll need a Klipsch driver and amp. I doubt you'll do a better job at design than the Klipsch engineers, so why build one? The other issue I see is parts. There should be some drivers floating around but the amps on those subs crap out so frequently, I doubt you'll find a used one. If you did, you'll spend a lot of time fabricating a sub with a timebomb for an amp. You'd be better off buying a driver and fabricating a box using that particular drivers T/S parameters. Buy a new plate amp with a warranty and enjoy.

I guess my original post was alittle misleading.

I already have a perfectly good working sub-12 and amp. I was just curious if there was a modification or a new DIY box design that increase the perfomance of the sub 12 driver and amp before I went on the hunt for a whole new setup.

I believe the Klipsch engineers wrung every last bit of performance out of that driver and amp. I'd be REALLY surprised if there was a ported configuration that could give you more. You might make a box that was tuned lower but you'd decrease overall output plus, the high pass filter built into the amp would cut output below the original box's tuning point. There's also the possibility of overexcursion of the driver if you could get a lower signal to it. If you build a box with a higher tune, it wouldn't be as good for HT but may get slightly louder for music. Your call.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess my original post was alittle misleading. I already have a perfectly good working sub-12 and amp. I was just curious if there was a modification or a new DIY box design that increase the perfomance of the sub 12 driver and amp before I went on the hunt for a whole new setup.

Actually, the best improvement would be experimentation with placement, or adding an identical sub and flattening the response with two. If you corner load a sub you get a huge gain at certain frequencies.

What is it not doing for you?

For some DIY ideas take a look at http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=536

Or try my own personal idea of a dream subwoofer, take a 12' tall Sonotube concrete form 60" in diameter, seal the top with a plate, and put four EV 30W woofers in the bottom. Prepare for liftoff.

What is it not doing for you?

For some DIY ideas take a look at http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?srchExt=CAT&srchCat=536

Or try my own personal idea of a dream subwoofer, take a 12' tall Sonotube concrete form 60" in diameter, seal the top with a plate, and put four EV 30W woofers in the bottom. Prepare for liftoff.

I don't think you can buy sonotube in one foot increments. :) I guess that means you need to make 20 of these at a time. :)