A simple question?

Audio Android

I recently returned my pioneer vsx 1019 ah-k 7.1 120 watts per......for repairs (hdmi inputs) never worked since i bought it (open item $399) at best buy. Now they R saying it is going to cost more to fix than what i paid for it. Geek squad is giving me credit to the store and they have a marantz sr6005 open item(store display)$529 in good shape and i'm wondering if anybody has any input......... on the marantz? or go back to pioneer for the new vsx 1021? I use the amp for ............movies 50%..........music 40%

gaming 10%...... OR IF ANYBODY HAS ANY BETTER IDEA TO SPEND $550 FOR Best Buy amplification..................I Know, broad question but what R ya gonna do?

speakers: jbl 2080 fronts 8inch, 1inch titanium tweets, sides bose 901 series IV, rears bose 201. I know, I know, I joined this forum to upgrade.

Don't go with the 1021. Lots of great things on it but missing something crucial which you can't add-on...speaker pre-outs. Pre-outs are what let you add an external amplifier, like the emotive XPA-5.

Why an external amp?? Receivers may be rated at 120 watts per channel but rarely are they continuously driven like an amp. (they can't put 120 watts out of each channel all at the same time) Plug seven speakers into a receiver, watch your favorite movie, and when those loud explosions come around, it'll be asking for more power. Before the explosion, it was putting out enough power for the volume you picked. Now it's asking for that "peak volume". If that explosion needs 90 watts, and the receiver can only reach 70, that's when the receiver with CLIP to protect itself. This sends distortion to your speakers and can damage them.

An amplifier will give your speakers the available horsepower for the loud times and take the burden off your receiver. Have to have Pre-outs to get there though.