Info /Opinions on Dynatuner-Model FM-3, please?

HDBRbuilder

Hey Folks,

Back around 1992, I had to take my trusty old H/K 900+ receiver to the shop for a bad amp pot replacement...and a general check-up...I also took the old Teac A2340-R, DBX II model 124, and both the Soundcraftsman 20-12 A's in for check-ups. So that I could have something to listen to while these were in the shop, I drug out my "emergency integrated amp", a JVC A-K350 and hooked up the turntable, CD player, and cassette to it. But I missed having any FM to listen to. I went around to the pawn shops to look for some kind of tuner, but no luck...UNTIL...I noticed up high on a shelf back in a dark corner, covered in dust, an old tuner. I kinda wiped the dust off of the faceplate and saw it was a "DYNA". I had always really liked the old Dynaco stereo 400 amps, and I asked the guy at the shop if this tuner was for sale...and how much. He said he would let me have it for twelve bucks cause it had been in there forever!!! Hell, I figured even if it didn't work, I could get that much just for the working tubes outta it...so I forked over the dough, and got outta there before he changed his mind!!

When I got home, I removed the cabinet cover and gently cleaned everything up inside of it with solvent grade ether, carefully removing the tubes, and cleaning all the electrical contacts off and then replacing them all.

The next afternoon after I got off from work, I hooked it up to the JVC, and to the FM antenna from the H/K...and turned everything on...givin those tubes some time to warm up before turnin up the volume.

Even running through the SS JVC, it sounded wonderful!!!...so clear and warm!!!...perfect for my Heresys!!

I can't say I know a thing about it, but I sure would like to...anybody familiar with this model?

I think I got a steal on it!!...and eventually would love to include it in a tube set-up...what do you think?

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.

I've never been a big Dynaco fan--I know the PAS2 and ST35 and ST70 have LEGIONS of defenders who will go the the mat for them--I've had Dyna fans tell me the ST70 is superior to any MAC or Marantz tube gear!!!

Give me a break!

Anyway, the stuff I like best from Dyna are the tube tuners--I used a mono Dyna FM tuner for YEARS in my garage and loved it!

You got an awesome deal!

Allan

OK, guys...

So it looks like I have a real winner with this Dynaco FM-3, huh? That's a relief!!

Now, While keeping in mind that I am a poor boy, and will likely have to look for a good deal on eBay...any suggestions for a good match to this tuner in a tube pre-amp and amp? I will be using this set-up for 1970's and earlier "Heritage" models...hopefully eventually a pair of k-horns, but the lascalas and heresys will have to do for now.

I have been kinda thinkin about Dynaco ST-70 and for the preamp I just don't know...so give me some hints here, please. Also I would like to be able to have a center channel eventually and need advice on this.

Plan at this stage is to try somehow to have current set-up with the ole H/K900+ switchable with the tube set-up...so I can use the speakers with either one of the sources...and have the components that go to the sources switchable to either preamp set-up...if at all feasable. Any input on doing this will be appreciated.

Thanks, guys!

------------------

If you want to send a private message, or have already done so, be aware I have not as yet been able to retrieve them. Send e-maill instead, please...just note Klipsch forum in the heading so it doesn't get deleted.