How to Refinish Heresy H-WO

Evolvo

I have a pair of heresies that I'm trying to make a bit nicer and I have already sanded down the old finish. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions as far as refinishing them. I've heard some people say use 1/3 Walnut stain and 2/3 teak oil mixture. I was simply thinking of just using a Walnut stain and then using a coat of satin polyeurathane.

So if you have any ideas of what I should use to stain and protect them as well as how many coats please let me know what you think.

post-38582-1381966074327_thumb.jpg

I just redid Kg3's and '84 Heresy I's. I used Minwax stains on both. On the Kg3 I used dark walnut because one speaker was lighter from sitting in the sun so I gave it a little more to even out the color. On the Heresy I used Provincial because I didn't really want to change the color, just freshen the finish and hide the flaws. I just use a soft cloth (old cotton sock) and wipe with the grain. I didn't put it on too heavy. It takes several days to not feel tacky. The Minwax products have a sealer in them so I didn't see the need for an additional clear coat.

Have fun.

I would suggest that when staining, you pick a stain that you like (or even mix two to get a certain hue). When I redo old heritage I use a 70/30 or 80/20 mix of minwax "special walnut" and "gunstock". I only use stain, not the kind that has a poly base.

I then mix the stain 50/50 with mineral spirits (you can also use real turpentine).

That mixture allows you to wipe it on, allow to sit for about a minute, then wipe any excess off. From that point, you can repeat that process until it's at the hue you want. Allow to dry, usually 4-6 hours, then wipe off with min spirits. Then re-apply the stain mix a second time, and allow to dry. Again wipe off with min spirits and allow to dry.

Then apply the oil of your choice (Watco Teak is a good choice, fairly neutral and kills off any excessive "reddish"). You will need to oil them a couple times wiping off the excess after each appplication.

All of these things need to be done with the surface you are working with horizontal, in good light (natural sunlight works best). Wear rubber or latex gloves, and use a clean cotton cloth (a heavily washed old cotton t-shirt, cut into 6" wide strips).

[H]