Just got the RF42 package. Questions and concern.

Dekadence

RF-42 II Floorstanding Speakers. RC-42 II Center Channel Speaker. RS-41 II Surround Speakers. Onkyo NR609

Just got this package, its my first decent speaker set and my third set from klipsch. I had a few questions. Firstly what frequency should I set each of the speakers on (80,90, full, etc) Also one of the surrounds went on the speaker stand fine. The other, something happened and the bolt just keeps turning. It wont tighten and wont come out. Luckily the speaker works, but I have no idea how to remove the speaker from the stand. I guess the mounting hardware inside the speaker was damage or something, but im not sure what to do or how to remove the bolt from the speaker.

Also I know this isnt a speaker related question but when watching a movie, should I match the audio (dolby hd, etc) with the receiver audio setting or just put the receiver on whatever audio setting I like regardless of the audio of the movie?

Oh and this website says to add 2 bookshelf speakers for a 7.1 system, but can I also add 2 more surrounds? Does it makes a difference?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new system! I will answer in reverse order.

1) Macs don't do paragraphs on this forum without a command function. "< p >"

2) You can add two surrounds for the rear, but unless you have a specific benefit from buying and placing surrounds, I would go with bookshelves. There is little benefit to the 7 channel surround unless you have a large area behind the main seating. The second problem is that your 100 watt per channel receiver will only put out about 70 wpc with 5 channels running and about 30 wpc with 7 channels. Depending on volume and room size, your system might actually sound worse with an extra two channels.

3) Generally it's best to set the audio to what the source is using, but that's just a starting point. You really should do whatever sounds best. If properlly calibrated, it is most likely that the source audio and the matching receiver output mode will sound best.

4) I have no idea what happened with your mounting bracket. Sounds like it could be stripped.

5) Use the Audyssey calibration mic. It will help you calibrate your system. Do you have a sub? You probably want your 42s set-up around 60-70 Hz and the others around 80 Hz. The 42 series does not go paticularly deep so it would be wise to get a good sub. Those speakers do quite well for a small/medium sized room, but if you don't get/have a sub you will be missing out.

Thanks. I have a sub, its the polk pa120. And I dont have a large area behind the seating area. Its only a 12x10 room I just made specifically for a personal theater room. I didnt know it could sound worse with 2 extra channels but they would be right behind my head in the room. And I just have to figure out how to set the receiver to match the audio on the dvd. I think I will contact klipsch to ask about the stripped mounting bracket. Its fine now but if I ever want to remove the speaker from the stand it would be a problem.

The Onkyo has a function in the set-up menu that will allow you to select the processing method based on the source material. The manual will tell you where to perform this and what function it correlates to. Then, the receiver will auto-process based on the source material. Also check out your CD/DVD/BRD player set-up. You want to make sure that if it is decoding it that it sends the correct info to the receiver, otherwise it can get all jacked up. Don't forget to run Audyssey and then make sure your cross-overs for your towers are set between 60 and 80 Hz and your center and surrounds at 80-90 Hz.

Speaker Frequencies should be a set it and forget it. Its that way on my Onkyo Receiver...

I have mine set on Auto to select best sound according to the source, otherwise, you can always change it on your remote as well if you prefer certain preset during certain source..

The Onkyo has a function in the set-up menu that will allow you to select the processing method based on the source material. The manual will tell you where to perform this and what function it correlates to. Then, the receiver will auto-process based on the source material. Also check out your CD/DVD/BRD player set-up. You want to make sure that if it is decoding it that it sends the correct info to the receiver, otherwise it can get all jacked up. Don't forget to run Audyssey and then make sure your cross-overs for your towers are set between 60 and 80 Hz and your center and surrounds at 80-90 Hz.

I think i have mine set to FULL on all my speakers..

If I set the rf42 floorstanding frequency to 60, does that mean it only does 60 or does 60 and higher or 60 and lower. Probably a real noob question but we all gotta learn sometime.

better to ask a noob question than to make a noob mistake!

im sort of in the same boat as you, but i do know that on my subwoofer, if set at 70hz, it will play 70hz and below.

But im not sure how it works with the towers and bookshelf speakers... I have all my speakers set to "Full" because i wasnt sure...

If I set the rf42 floorstanding frequency to 60, does that mean it only does 60 or does 60 and higher or 60 and lower. Probably a real noob question but we all gotta learn sometime.

im sort of in the same boat as you, but i do know that on my subwoofer, if set at 70hz, it will play 70hz and below.

But im not sure how it works with the towers and bookshelf speakers... I have all my speakers set to "Full" because i wasnt sure...

The crossover for your speaker channels (front L/R, center, surround) is the lowest frequency they will play. 80 Hz (THX recommended) is definately a bass frequency, but bass is audible down to almost 20 Hz. If you set your speakers at 60 Hz, then the speaker will play all sound from 60 Hz (bass) to 20 KHz (treble). I recommended setting the RF-42 II towers at 60 as they go down to 58 Hz. They aren't capable of playing notes below that frequency. The RC-42 II and RS-42 II are a little above 80 Hz in their available performance, but I would still set them no higher than 80 Hz (as long as it sounds okay) as that is THX recommended.

The Sub-woofer crossover (also known as LFE or Low Frequency Extension) is the .1 part of the 5.1 system and it plays everything below the cross-over setting, as was mentioned above. If you're system only has one crossover, rather than one for each speaker, this is it and it should be set to 80 (as a general guideline). Any frequencies that are below your "main" speakers crossover setting will be sent to the sub. So basically with a crossover at 80 Hz for all speakers, 20-80 Hz is sent to the sub and 80 Hz-20 KHz is sent to the other discrete channels.

As for changing your crossover for music vs movies, that takes a lot of effort. I would find what works best as a compromise between the two. Generally if you have good results with one and not the other it is as a result of your sub. Some subs are designed to handle HT and some are better for music. Everything about this hobby is a compromise (price, space, sound, looks, size, audiosource, etc.) and the more involved you get the more you understand what types of compromise you are willing to make for a better overall system.

The crossover for your speaker channels (front L/R, center, surround) is the lowest frequency they will play. 80 Hz (THX recommended) is definately a bass frequency, but bass is audible down to almost 20 Hz. If you set your speakers at 60 Hz, then the speaker will play all sound from 60 Hz (bass) to 20 KHz (treble). I recommended setting the RF-42 II towers at 60 as they go down to 58 Hz. They aren't capable of playing notes below that frequency. The RC-42 II and RS-42 II are a little above 80 Hz in their available performance, but I would still set them no higher than 80 Hz (as long as it sounds okay) as that is THX recommended.

The Sub-woofer crossover (also known as LFE or Low Frequency Extension) is the .1 part of the 5.1 system and it plays everything below the cross-over setting, as was mentioned above. If you're system only has one crossover, rather than one for each speaker, this is it and it should be set to 80 (as a general guideline). Any frequencies that are below your "main" speakers crossover setting will be sent to the sub. So basically with a crossover at 80 Hz for all speakers, 20-80 Hz is sent to the sub and 80 Hz-20 KHz is sent to the other discrete channels.

As for changing your crossover for music vs movies, that takes a lot of effort. I would find what works best as a compromise between the two. Generally if you have good results with one and not the other it is as a result of your sub. Some subs are designed to handle HT and some are better for music. Everything about this hobby is a compromise (price, space, sound, looks, size, audiosource, etc.) and the more involved you get the more you understand what types of compromise you are willing to make for a better overall system.

That answered everything I was wondering, thanks. Now I think I know how to set everything up correctly. Now I just have to hear back from klipsch on how to get my surround speaker unstuck off of the speaker stand and figure out which movie to watch first.