NON-POWERED SUBWOOFER

CIGARBUM

Like usual, I'm not sure I understand either. A friend has an old JBL non-powered subwoofer and I was thinking of putting in my shop system. I have a few options for power.

Let me get some of the particulars on the sub and I suspect I will have other questions. Thanks

CB

When you say a non-powered subwoofer, you mean that it's not connected to 110 VAC wall outlet to power the subwoofer? If that's the case then 99% you will have a positive and negative speaker terminals like in the case of floor standing, surrounds, center, etc. And thus, you connect the sub-woofer output to the amplifier and amplifier output to the non-powered sub-woofer.

Typically, now a days, subwoofer are active, meaning, it has a built-in amplifier (normally a Class-D). A 110VAC power cable is connected to this built-in amplifier (like you do to a stand alone amp), and thus all you need to do is to connect a low frequency/bass/base signal from your pre/AVR to it.