Rear firing ports on RB-52 II

cbope

This is my 19th post already, sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier so I will do it now. I've been a long-time audio and music fan, starting back when I was in junior high school. I put together my first home audio system before I was 15, buying one component at a time as my small budget allowed. Although I couldn't afford them back then, I've also had some experience with fairly high-end audiophile gear like Nakamichi tape decks (anyone remember the Dragon?), McIntosh, etc. I was first exposed to Klipsch via one of my close friends while growing up, his mom owned a pair. I don't remember what model they were, but they were mid-sized floor-standing models, not Khorns or any of the "big" stuff. I immediately liked the sound they produced. Very early on, I discovered how much more I enjoyed music when listened to on a good quality setup, and I've fortunately been gifted with good ears which are holding up well into my early 40's now. I'm originally from Texas and have been living in Finland for the past 11 years. Ok, enough about me and on to my next question.

I've ordered a set of RB-52 II's to be my L/R speakers in a 5.1 setup and I have a question about the rear firing ports.The speakers will be placed on top of my TV cabinet, so they are not enclosed. Good so far. But, the rear of the speakers will not be far from the wall behind the TV, since the cabinet is not very deep. While I don't have the new speakers yet, I would guess the ports will be approx. 6-8 inches at most from the rear wall. The wall covering is a vinyl textured material which is painted. Should I plan to put some treatments on the wall behind the speakers, or is this enough distance to dissipate the air and sound coming from the ports? I do plan to elevate the speakers on stands to raise them to ear height.

Ideally, I could have bought the RB-61 II's which have front firing ports, but their size was too large for the space available and it would start to stretch the budget more than I would have liked.

• Moderators

sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier so I will do it now.

Well sorry if you were not told Welcome.......so were even. [:o]

I would think 6"-8" would be OK, I would be more worried about them being on top of the TV, is there no way to spread them out a little more ?

I like Klipsch but I can not understand the thinking behind a rear ported bookshelf speaker ? My first Klipsch were SB-3's a rear ported bookshelf, just don't understand it ! [*-)]

The speakers will not be on top of the TV, they will be on stands to either side of the TV, centered at ear height. They will be approximately 5 feet apart.

I believe Klipsch (and others) put the ports on the rear for space reasons on their smaller dimension speakers. The front is taken up by the drivers and the cabinet would need to be physically larger to place the port below the woofer, like it is on the larger RB-61's.

sorry I didn't introduce myself earlier so I will do it now.

Well sorry if you were not told Welcome.......so were even. Surprise

I would think 6"-8" would be OK, I would be more worried about them being on top of the TV, is there no way to spread them out a little more ?

I like Klipsch but I can not understand the thinking behind a rear ported bookshelf speaker ? My first Klipsch were SB-3's a rear ported bookshelf, just don't understand it ! Confused

Good point! I haven't able to find a technical reason for front or rear firing ports. Seems a convenience - more of a designer's convenience then a user!!! Certainly, front firing solves the problem of a distance required from the rear wall...