need help with a sub upgrade.

reynolr

Need help picking out a new sub. I currently have a sub 12. Was kinda looking at an epik legend or emotiva ultra 12. Any recommendations are welcome. Looking at no more than 500. Less is def ok. I want something that is gonna be head over heels above the sub 12. Thank Yall.

The room is a little over 2000 cubic feet. Has 2 doorways in it, one has a door one doesn't. I use it for mostly Blu-Rays and HDTV, but am more and more listening to music since I took your advice and got the Onkyo HT-RC180 (using the Pandora). That is where most of my problems lie, I hear no bass while using Pandora. And I love bass, use to be into car stereos, kicker solo's. Lots of bass. But I want to be able to feel it at low levels and be in an earthquake at higher! Thanks for your help.

The Emotiva is a sealed sub. Very tight and accurate bass.

If I had to guess; you want something a little more boomy and perhaps exaggerated.

Also; Parts Express haqs DIY kits where you install the amp and driver; I have heard good things about these......

Epik subs are great. So is Emotiva. (I love mine).

Hsu; Emo; Epik; SVS; ED; and Velodyne all have great subs for sure; and most have offerings ~$500.

The Epik would be a big step up from the Sub12. (So would the Emo; IMHO).

Where are you located? Damn, you are not near Chicago....

I suggest attempting to hear various subs before buying. (I was going to offer to have you swing by to listen for a bit).

Good Luck.

Epik Legend is sure very nice sub for music. Fairly small form factor for dual 12'' and zero vibrations.

I, however, am planing to sell it and replace it with one of lower digging,

ported woofers just for movies. Reason for this is i just bought a quite powerful stereo amplifier and

now i get all the bottom end from my main speakers i ever wanted (for music listening)

I know that every person I have seen with the emotiva is very satisfied, which makes me believe I would be as well. However, if I could get something much better for a little more I would be willing to do so. Also thanks for the would be invite (ironsave), I am the only one of my friends that is into this kind of thing so finding people to o listen to their gear is difficult. The only way I can is to go into a store, but then of course whatever they show you is the best there is (biased). They love to come listen, but we are all in our ealy to mid 20's so they aren't into spending their extra cash on HT just yet. And Danzo you are the first one I have talked to that actually has a Legend, you think they are mainly music subs? I do still watch more movies than I listen to music, but I am getting more into music (thought I dout it will ever overtake my movies). If you are planning on replacing what are you going to replace it with? Also as Jason said earlier in this post there is an a2-300 around me that they are asking $300 for. Would that give me what I am looking for or no? And have you heard the Legend ironsave?

Epik Legend is awesome for music, it is well built and being sealed design helps alot. However,

it is no slouch for movies. Although 300W constant and 750W at peaks is by far not strongest,

second 12'' driver adds like 3dB, which at low end can make all the difference. It also very

much depends on your room size, some people feel they need to add two subs just for music listening..

I myself am really satisfied with Legend for movies, but might go for DIY project like Tuba HT or similar,

just to see if i can experience the house_shaking_pants_flapping_omg LFE. Then find another

apartment to live in after getting ASBO'd and being evicted...

I have not heard the Legend.

That being said; I almost bought one.

The Emotiva 30 day policy is what sold me. If you do not like it; send it back within 30 days and they refund your $....

Also 5 year warranty is nice as well.....

I love the Emotiva and am glad I went with what I did.

As Danzo said; a ported sub usually can provide superior HT results.

I think my Emo sounds superb with music and excellent with HT also......

I may not get as low as some, but what I get is clean and accurate.......

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/subwoofers/ultra-12

The Legend has a 3 yr, but no trail time. I am not the most knowledgable so if you could help me with a few things. What is SPL? The Emotiva says it has 110-113 dB, Legend doesn't state but i have read alot of ppl speank of SPL. Also the Legend says it goes down to 20 Hz +/- 3.5dB (16-18 Hz usable in room extension?), is that a big difference compared to the Emotiva's 22Hz with no +/- stated?

And danzo I would be half tempted to urge you to do the DIY sub and sell me your Legend but the warrenty is non-transferrable which is a bummer for resale.

The Legend has a 3 yr, but no trail time. I am not the most knowledgable so if you could help me with a few things. What is SPL? The Emotiva says it has 110-113 dB, Legend doesn't state but i have read alot of ppl speank of SPL. Also the Legend says it goes down to 20 Hz +/- 3.5dB (16-18 Hz usable in room extension?), is that a big difference compared to the Emotiva's 22Hz with no +/- stated?

And danzo I would be half tempted to urge you to do the DIY sub and sell me your Legend but the warrenty is non-transferrable which is a bummer for resale.

SPL= Sound Pressure Level

The legend likely can get lower.

My Emotiva really starts dropping off around 24hz. The actual dropoff on the Emo begins between 30hz and 28 hz.

It is a difference; but you can not always trust the manufacturer's claims.

For a budget sub, The Emo is about the best you will find new; with that kind of (transferable) warranty.

The Epik costs a bit more; but is also a kick *** sub that can get lower.

For me; a lot of the fun was the research.....

Good Luck.

It is not common for sealed subs to have much to show at either 20Hz or 22Hz and no, there would not be much

difference between Emo and Epik at this frequency range. I personally still fancy Epik over Emotiva, even though

i love multichannel Emo amps for movies. Take this with handful of salt though as i did not have chance to listen to Emo sub.

Postage would be a pain as i am from London, UK, so you'll have to find your own hehe..

also, many a good explanation of SPL can be found with search engines and online info banks.

One last thing, I just had myself talked into getting the Legend, until I looked over the dimensions. It has dual 12's and is basiclly the same size as my sub 12. Is this something to be hesitant about, or is it try what they say... that big things come in small packages?

The Legend is 5400 cubic inches, and for example the VTF-2 MK 3 is 7590 cubic inches. I know this is oldside deminsions, but that is a large difference, esp since the smalled one has dual subs. Is this because the HSU is ported (I am not sure if it is or not) and the Legend sealed?

Carver had some tiny subs made with big displacement proving that huge size is not necessity

for a sub. However, if you like your subs very loud and efficient, you will most like have to go big.

Enter Tuba HT!! (of course, it's not like it's anywhere near biggest subs)

Having said that, i can assure you that, if you have a sensibly sized room, Legend is perfectly suitable

for watching movies and you will be comfortable in knowing you that have one of nicest, affordable subs

for music.

Decided to go with the Epik, just got to sell my Sub 12 and save up another $100 in the mean time and were in business. Thank you Danzo and ironsave for all your help. It will prolly be a month or so before I actually get it but I will write up a review after. Pre and post break in. And suggestions on a price for the Sub 12? I know like a month ago someone with a 5 yr old one sold theirs for $250. Mine was bought on June 16th (my b-day present to me) so it still has warrenty, box, and is perfect condition. Just trying to get a price down before I post it in the garage sale. Thanks.