Setting Hz levels on receiver for Klipsch Speakers?

TurboGen

Trying to figure out what hertz settng I should select for all my speakers....

I have in my setup...

- F3 towers for fronts

- KV-1 center

- SB-20's for rears and sides

my receiver has a wide range of hertz selections. However, "80hz (THX)" I have that selected for all my speakers currently. But my towers can handle 35hz... So what should I do

That is referring to the cross over setting for the subwoofer

[edit] cross over setting for the bass infomation from each channel to be sent to the subwoofer instead of that channel speaker producing that infomation

...is that better?[end edit]

. So depends on what sub you have and power of the receiver also.

Besides getting info for that specifc gear you're best bet it to search and read the plethoria of information on "subwoofer set up" all over the net, most explain the theories and advantages of the different settings.

No, my receiver has a crossover setting for each individual speaker including subwoofer. I already have my sub setup, my question is for the rest of my speakers..

I have setting for fronts, center, rears, surrounds, subwoofer, and zone speakers.

I can adjust each individual speaker since my fronts and center and surrounds are all different speakers.

What should I set each of my speakers at?

No, my receiver has a crossover setting for each individual speaker including subwoofer. I already have my sub setup, my question is for the rest of my speakers..

I have setting for fronts, center, rears, surrounds, subwoofer, and zone speakers.

I can adjust each individual speaker since my fronts and center and surrounds are all different speakers.

My Onkyo TX-SR705 has the ability to set each speaker individually also. If you already have your subwoofer(LFE .1) set on the receiver, then try setting your mains at 60hz, center at 80hz and your surrounds at 80z. Listen how that sounds and then go from there, adjusting as you see fit. The crossover on the sub itself, should be set at it's highest setting to disable it or if you have the capability to set to "off", then do that. That will let the receiver handle all the bass management. What do you have the (.1) signal set at on your receiver?

Bill

What exact reciever do you have? There are people here with expertise with different brands. Personally, I know Onkyo and Integra brands, for instance.

I have an Onkyo TX 8xx (forget exact model)

I have my subwoofer on the receiver set at 80hz

I have the fronts at 40hz since my towers can handle 35hz. Is that a good idea or should i still habe them set at 60hz? And 80hz on the center and surrounds/rears.

Setting them at 40Hz is not keeping everything below 40Hz from getting to the speakers. You should set that higher. 60Hz would definitely be high enough, but 45-50 would probably do. Remember, as good as those speakers are, they are not going to reproduce low frequencies as well as a sub. That is why it was mentioned to raise them to 60Hz. Willand, his center cannot do 80Hz, as it is an 85Hz+ speaker...I looked it up :). Set it at 100Hz. I don't know what your rears are. SB-20 is not familiar to me. Whatever the specs are for the rears, just add 15. Your sub at 80Hz sounds fine. Make sure you have the filter on the sub all the way up, so you don't overlap. Experiment with your settings, but I will tell you you are going to need gain on the center speaker, as it is substantially less efficient (-7db) than the left and right.

All this is a starting point. Play with it. Also play with sub placements. Corners for subs offer the most gain. Perhaps the rear of the room, since the L/R speakers are so capable of low frequencies. Lastly, make sure the center speaker is actually aiming at your face when you sit down. You would be surprised in the difference!

Willand, his center cannot do 80Hz, as it is an 85Hz+ speaker...I looked it up

I know[:$], I put the cart before the horse and did not verify before I posted. I should have edited the post after discovering my error.

You should set that higher. 60Hz would definitely be high enough, but 45-50 would probably do. Remember, as good as those speakers are, they are not going to reproduce low frequencies as well as a sub. That is why it was mentioned to raise them to 60Hz.

Suggesting 60hz for mains is just a starting point, I do also think 40hz is a bit low.

Bill

I have two SB-20's laying around that I was going to sell...

My receiver has front and rear center option. Could I hook these two bookshelf speakers up to a front and rear center terminal..? Or would that sound really weird with both being in front?

I want to try and improve my center's sound. Any other options?