Help: Use SIDE or REAR surrounds ?

TurboGen

Ok, so I feel noob asking this question... My receiver has highlighted "LS" and "RS" instead of the "SBL" and "SBR" but I have my 5.1 hooked up as front and rear not front and side surround.

So... Does the side or rear surrounds get used the most?

so should I have my speakers connected to the side surrounds or rear surrounds?

I downgraded from the 7.1 to the 5.1 and when i did that i took out the side left and side right, but does not play out the rears... so im assuming what you mentioned, that a 5.1 is a SL and SR.... im not positive about it, i guess i'll have to get behind the receiver and switch to sides and see how sounds.

I downgraded from the 7.1 to the 5.1 and when i did that i took out the side left and side right, but does not play out the rears... so im assuming what you mentioned, that a 5.1 is a SL and SR.... im not positive about it, i guess i'll have to get behind the receiver and switch to sides and see how sounds.

Unless you can assign SBL/SBR to SL/SR, you will need to connect your surround speakers to SL/SR outputs on your AVR for 5.1. However, you can still place it at rear and see if you like the surround better from rear than side. Good luck in your placement...

• 2 weeks later...

Will sound ok if speakers are rear mounted, will sound better if side mounted. Check out the THX site. Less than one percent of movies are engineered to send different sounds to the rears, most rears are just the same sounds the side get.

It really depends on his room, seating position and speakers that he is using as Surrounds, Insofar as the latter comment, it depends on what setting you have the AVR set to as to what information gets sent to the sides and/or the rears. I convert 5.1 to 7.1 and it's not the same sound coming out of the side and rears most of the time.