Suggestions on a DVD player

OK, I was in denial on buying a DVD player. I wanted to wait until it could replace my VCR and I could get a DVR instead. But, I recently put a DD DVD in my Playstation2 and realized hey this isn't going to work for my DVD player. I'm running opti audio and S-video out of the PS2 into the Denon 3802 but my DD light on the receiver wouldn't come on. This receiver does the decoding for DTS and DD correct? Guess I don't understand why it won't playback in DD. Any suggestions are welcome.

Next plan of action if this doesn't work:

Any suggestions on a cheap reliable DVD player? I figure I don't need progressive scan since I'll probably have a DVR by the time I have a HDTV. And I probably won't need one that does any decoding right? All decoding for DTS and DD should be done in the receiver I believe. Is there a certain brand name that has established itself with affordable/reliable/quality audio and video output for dvd players?

Thanks! -Mike

Denon 3802

RF-5's

RC-3 II

KSW-15

RS-3's

mpetrich,

I had the same question last week and I just got my Wonderful Toshiba SD-5700 today. If you want to see the responses I got on the same topic a few days ago scroll down about 10 posts and it should be very helpful.

------------------

Fronts----KLF 30's

Center----RC-3 II

Receiver--JVC RX-9010V

Rears-----Quintets

Sub-------RSW-15

TV--------Panasonic tau 32 HDTV

DVD/DVD Audio------TOSHIBA SD-5700

Game System- XBOX

------------------

Computer

1.8 P4 - 640 megs of DDR ram

Geforce 3

120gig and 60gig 7200rpm harddrives

8000 Mp3's, all hooked up to my receiver via USB

mpetrich - Starting with the basics (which you've probably covered but just in case), did you go into the Denon setup and assign the correct optical input to the DVD input? And, of course, then select DVD as your input source.

On my Denon 3300, I set it to auto-detect on digital inputs to determine the decoding, and it switches between DD and DTS as appropriate, based on the input stream. Can you do that on the 3802?

Doug

------------------

My System

So I should be able to play DVD's on the PS2 and get digital quality surround sound with the Denon 3802? is that a correct statement?

Doug- Yep I have selected the DVD source to accept digital audio from opti port 1 and that's where I have the PS2 plugged in on the receiver. When I play the Dolby Digital movie my Denon panel shows "Digital" and "Dolby Pro Logic" but the light on the left hand side of the receiver for Dolby Digital does not come active. And the sound does work, it's just not true Dolby Digital.Smile.gif I didn't see any menu to chose which sound "version" on the PS2 or in the DVD menu.

So, thus far as far as suggestions we have a couple of happy campers with the Toshiba...