Any thoughts on Thorens TD150 MKII?

runninshine

I have the opportunity to buy a TD150 MkII for under $200. The Dust cover is scatched and not in great condition but from what I've been told the rest of the unit is nice.

The seller mentioned something about how upgrading the tone arm really helps the sound but, I have no idea about tone arms and don't really want to sink another $500 into it for one.

I would like to use my AT ML 440a cart with it. It should be sweet with the Klipschorns right?

Any help would be great.

I did a quick check on ebay completed listings for 150's and $150.00 was the going price. I never use dust covers. I would probably ditch the stock arm and go with something else. Take the outer platter off and watch the drive pulley for signs of wobble and listen for motor noise. If you are wanting plug 'n play this probably isn't it. You will probably need to DIY. I've got a couple of Technics direct drives I'd let go of: Technics SL-1200 w/arm and SL-150 minus arm. Go to vinylengine.com and check those out. Let me know if interested.

Have fun.