Peavey Stack FH-1 MB-2 MF1-X

kg4guy

Wow that’s a great deal. They are large and
folks sometimes loose the space to keep them. I am still looking for some MB-x cheap
and close to home.

I have the FH-1 stacked port to port out back
now. When I moved them I put the 1990 K33 round magnet Woofers in them. These are
the ported fh-1 I did in the spring. They have a AA crossover cut the woofer, I
tried them without any crossover at first but they are playing in the same room
with a pair of Cornwalls so the blend is different. I like the heavyweight
lascala clone I built with the 1984 square magnet K33 better, I run those
without crossovers and they sound great with my Klipschorns.

post-42841-1381966253109_thumb.jpg

That's a steal deal. Those stacks should cost $600. I would have the MB 2 on top of a Khorn or MWM, since the efficiency matches, then add my coffee table tapped horn sub which uses the Lab12 driver. this will get you from 20 Hz. to 1.2 Khz. allowing something like Bob Crites top end from his little 2-way speaker to do the rest of the job to 19Khz.

Wow thats a great deal. They are large and

folks sometimes loose the space to keep them. I am still looking for some MB-x cheap

and close to home.

I have the FH-1 stacked port to port out back

now. When I moved them I put the 1990 K33 round magnet Woofers in them. These are

the ported fh-1 I did in the spring. They have a AA crossover cut the woofer, I

tried them without any crossover at first but they are playing in the same room

with a pair of Cornwalls so the blend is different. I like the heavyweight

lascala clone I built with the 1984 square magnet K33 better, I run those

without crossovers and they sound great with my Klipschorns.

That is what happened older musician and wanted the room in his garage I really only wanted the MB-2's but at $200. for the stack I had to take it.

That's a steal deal. Those stacks should cost $600. I would have the MB 2 on top of a Khorn or MWM, since the efficiency matches, then add my coffee table tapped horn sub which uses the Lab12 driver. this will get you from 20 Hz. to 1.2 Khz. allowing something like Bob Crites top end from his little 2-way speaker to do the rest of the job to 19Khz.

I plan to use the MB-2 on the MWM's with the JBL 2360A horn I'm thinking to build another pair of MWM's to match the ones I built maybe next week I will start.

I plan to use the MB-2 on the MWM's with the JBL 2360A horn I'm thinking to build another pair of MWM's to match the ones I built maybe next week I will start.

Ecellent choice. You will have a close match to what I had for 2 years.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice find!

Those do look like the original BW's, don't they? Rounded basket fingers and the motors look like 250 watt ver. My FH-1's came with 1505-4 2nd gen baskets and 350 watt magnets. I found 3rd gen 1504-4 baskets (correct for the FH-1) at 8th Street Music.com prior to upgrading to JBL 2226's.

As always, with old Peavey's, disassemble and inspect the mag/basket.
Then remove the sponge filter from the magnet vent. If it hasn't already
- it will get sucked into the voice coil gap, melt, then turn to gum on
the inside of the voice coil former. It can be cleaned off with alcohol.

Edit - further research indicates there may be 3 or more generations of BW magnets.

FYI: all Black Widow magnets are fully compatible with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen BW baskets. Word of caution: there are several Peavey 4" VC magnets - only BW mags are compatible with BW baskets:

Black Widow flat back - NLA (I have no experience with these - not even sure they exist at this point - info found at Telecaster.com forum)

Black Widow 250 watt, 1.5" vent - NLA

Black Widow 350 watt, 2.75" vent - 00010070

Incompatible with Black Widow baskets

Lo Max - 00560420

Low Rider - 00560430

BWX - Neo 00560870

BWX/SPS - 00458900

My barn rig - JBL 2405H, EV DH1A/P. Audio PH-4525, Peavey FH-1/JBL 2226H, Peavey 118 SUB Theater

post-53023-13819663777564_thumb.jpg

Nice find!

Those do look like the original BW's, don't they? Rounded basket fingers and the motors look like 250 watters. My FH-1's came with 1505-4 2nd gen baskets and 350 watt magnets. I found 3rd gen 1504-4 baskets (correct for the FH-1) at 8th Street Music.com prior to upgrading to JBL 2226's.

As always, with old Peavey's, disassemble and inspect the mag/basket.

Then remove the sponge filter from the magnet vent. If it hasn't already

- it will get sucked into the voice coil gap, melt, then turn to gum on

the inside of the voice coil former - which causes distortion and/or

cone seizing. It can be cleaned off with alcohol.

FYI: 1st and 2nd gen Black Widow magnets are fully compatible with 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen BW baskets. Word of caution: there are six Peavey 4" VC magnets - only BW mags are compatible with BW baskets:

Black Widow 250 watt - 1.5" vent

Black Widow 350 watt - 2.75" vent

Lo Max

Low Rider

BWX - Neo

BWX/SPS

Will do thanks for the info I have one pair with K-43's in them and like the sound of them better a little cleaner and seem to dig lower.

More Peavey Stackage

Now I would love to have a pair of those bass bottoms and the MB-1 horn's is this your set up ?

No, the Project 1 is not mine. I had a longish story to go along with the pic, but somehow it didn't post... I'll spare you.

The best way to increase low end with the FH-1 is to either stack them 4x4 or add subs :P Seriously though, I never run my FH-1's below 100Hz. Unless stacked, they don't have much useable below 80Hz.

Heck, even the FH-2 bin from the Project 1 used the HDH Sub-which by todays standards would require another sub! :)

post-53023-13819663789114_thumb.jpg

Ports are 4 inch

Black widows are 1.5 vents

sorry for the confusion

I resemble that remark! Nah, I wasn't confused, I guess I should have used one of those smilies you kids use these days...

Are you looking for Mb-2's? How far are you willing to drive? There is a pair of "empty with magnets" MB-2's down here for $100. I'll be taking a drive up to Ohio in the near future to pick up an engine, I could possibly meet you somewhere on the way up. Of course, I would want to be reimbursed gas for going out of my way. My vehicle is rated at 24/27mpg.

Here's a pic of the actual bins.

post-53023-13819663792134_thumb.jpg