Refinishing Cornwalls - Now Rebuilding Cornwalls

PSUSkier

I've had a set of Cornwalls for many years. I used to use them as speakers for my DJ company when I was in high school about 10 years ago and since then they've been moved around and are pretty notably beat up. I'm getting to the point where I want to replace my RF-7s with these (and eventually get a heresy as a center). Does anyone on the forums by chance know any good and trustworthy companies in the Charlotte, NC area that could refinish these?

Welcome to the Forum.

You can probably and easily do that yourself.
Save some considerable $$$'s

Look at these two threads. One deals with
Cornwalls and the Heresy's, but together it's an "all in one" read that you can
use as a tutorial.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

[H]

Thanks for the reply. I actually did read over the first document when trying to figure out if I could do just that. Ultimately though, I feel these guys are too damaged for me to trust myself to restore them properly and have the new veneer stick. I got a quote of $360 for a shop to redo both speakers (minus the staining which I will do myself) which doesn't seem too bad.

Another thought is may be to start from scratch. I'm looking at one of my cabinets right now and the construction seems pretty straightforward. I figure two sheets of really nice 3/4-in plywood would be plenty to rebuild these boxes properly. Could the motor board be reused if I were to disassemble the current cabinets? Looking at the inside of the box it looks like everything is just nailed together via the internal supports with glue on the joints, is that correct?

If you would like a rough guitar-amp kinda finish, look into Duratex roll on grade. You can texture roll it right on. Sand and degrease first of course, so you get a physical bond. The stuff is very durable, and looks great. A little of this stuff goes a long way. A quart would be more than enough IMO. It's a one way road. If you aren't sure you want that look, don't do it. The stuff is like concrete once it sets.

Good Luck.

Another thought is may be to start from scratch. I'm looking at one of my cabinets right now and the construction seems pretty straightforward. I figure two sheets of really nice 3/4-in plywood would be plenty to rebuild these boxes properly. Could the motor board be reused if I were to disassemble the current cabinets? Looking at the inside of the box it looks like everything is just nailed together via the internal supports with glue on the joints, is that correct?

The "BR's" are the easiest to replace the cabinet panels. The factoy veneered W's, O's, etc, are 45 degree angles and that is a pain. The BR's are "butt joined", which make it easy. That said, you can do the "boxes" using good quality (7 ply) 3/4 birch. It will take two sheets.

The panels themselves are nailed (sides to tops), and the braces provide the additional support. The key is to make sure the braces fit tight. The braces are not nailed, they are stapled using a 19/64, 1.25" long, round head staple. Tools required were in the previous post.

Once you have the "boxes", then you can either have them veneered, or DIY. Believe me, I am seriously retarded (or so I have been told....), and I learned how to do it....

[H]

PS: I'm going to completely rebuild a pair of 79 C-BR's in about a month or so. As in from scratch... as the original cabinets are simply not repairable.... Send me an email or a PM with an email address and I'll "walk you through it" as I go.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing (the originals were the BRs). I am changing things up slightly though... I went to a local building supply place and they had some great looking void-free Hickory plywood. I got two sheets of that and some finishing veneer strips. Are the sides nailed to the tops though? I was looking at my BRs and there didn't seem to be any nail holes; I was just planning on gluing the panels together then reinforce with the blocking. Think that'll be sturdy enough?