Epic CF 4

venaka

I'm probably a bit late replying to this so please excuse me. I don't drop by as often as I should.

When I was looking to replace my Lowther Accoustas with Klipsches (I originally purchased the Lowthers from the UK Klipsch importer Guy Holdsworth and he persuaded me to go with Klipsch rather than my preference at the time, Tannoy), I wanted the CF4s. I'd heard them at a hifi show, thought they sounded great, and also that they looked wonderful. So when Guy offered me his ex-dem ones at half price, what could go wrong?

He brought them over in a trailer for me to try in my room. Well, whatever I did I couldn't get them sounding good. The high frequencies were very bright while the bass was very lacking even positioning them right in the room corners. Looking inside (the reflex tubes are wide enough to get a torch and mirror in!) I saw little in the way of high technology -- plastic horns, scattered foam damping, tiny-looking crossover, etc. I dared mention this to Guy and his suggestion was...

He brought over a pair (also ex-dem) of Forte IIs. Smaller, less visually impressive, even old-fashioned. Yet they just sang. Better bass, much better imaging, simply better. I so wanted to like the CF4s -- I'd been thinking about them for a long time -- but in my room at least there was no comparison.

Since I purchased the Forte IIs I've installed upgraded (and external) crossover, titanium tweeter diaphragm, and some deflex damping behind the woofers. I'm awaiting the current Klipsch importer getting back to me on titanium squarker diaphragms, and I still think one day perhaps I'll find a great pair of K'horns or Cornwalls for £500, but until then I'm very happy. I don't miss the CF4s, even though I still have the brochure and sometimes take a look at what might have been.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my CF3 crossovers redone by Bob. The sound went from great to outstanding and all for a very reasonable price. It is well worth a call to Bob for a discussion on the options for updating these crossovers with better components.

As for the cosmetics I used Formbees furtniture restoreation (there is a kit) to "fix" some lihght damage to the exterior and the results were superb. Any such product will work. Think of these speakers as furniture. Also, regarding the air leak I did go into my speakers (removed the woofers) to take a look inside and although I could be wrong I am certain that the top, bottom, and sides are solid oak and the front and back are particle board.This means that you should be able to apply wood glue and fix the issue this way.

thnx for checking. Yeah exactly like mine. I ended up only adding glue were I needed it, which was on the upper corner instead of taking the whole back board off..I used gorilla wood glue and clamped the corner over night..

I checked this morning and it feels strong..

I will start the cabs now..im going to use howards restore since I have had great success before.

thanks again..will post pics soon

• 2 weeks later...

Alright sent crossovers to bob, and decided I would restore the cabs on the cf4s..Im want to repaint the front black panel..Do you guys know what material they are? And the one of the drivers is a bit dirty, i tried a damp towel but after a day the spots came back?

post-38317-1381966489962_thumb.jpg

Can cat p do this? oh by the way these are version 1 cf3 got from here at the garage forum..!!thnks. Original owner, never had them in the garage and only one side had (water) damage. I saw a cat looking at me while I spoke to the gentleman and im now thiking little twinkie probably decided to own these one day..WOULD a good ssanding fix this?

post-38317-1381966490317_thumb.jpg

BIG PLUS on this advice. Getting any of the Klipsch speakers which have the horns below ear level raised up to ear level makes a significant difference. If you raise the speaker so that the bottom edge of the horn is between 36 - 38 inches up off of the floor you will get them to approximately ear level when seated. You actual seating position will vary so do a little experimentation. With a Forte about 9 - 10 inches with the stock riser removed works well for a Quartet about 12 - 14 inches works well. I have mine up on Skylan Stands four post mass loaded stands they work wonderfully and look terrific.Best regards Moray James.

I have not handled a pair of the Epic cabinets so cannot say for sure. The Lengend series used baffle boards which were laminated with Melamine on both sides, a nice durable textured finish but a bear to bond to with adhesive. Your CF speakersbaffles look to be a painted surface as the black extends into the speaker cut outs while with the Lengend series the cut outs are bare MDF since the Melamine has been routed away. So you are likely dealing with a painted baffle. If you add as much surface tension to the baffle surface as possible by sanding and then seal with a good primer I am sure what ever paint you choose to use to freshen up the baffles will bond well and last a very long time.

You can use some detergent and water to wash your woofer cones to see it that will remove any spots. If that fails try a little paint solvent (mineral spirits) you can test it out first on the back side of the cone but that should not effect the cone surface at all.

wow, you've really fallen in love with the Epic series! have you opened up the 3s? are the x-overs the same? you may be able to do a/b testing of the crites xovers vs. the originals.

kORN, THESE epics is what I like..I have been through many (klipsch) speakers check my other post, and the epics, to my music taste, is the best!!! I am so happy with the sound!! For real!

The crossovers on cf 3 and cf4 looked identical when I opened them..My xovers are on there way back from the lab of Crites , so I did play with the ports of the CF3..Wow, from 2" to 4 1/4 makes a big difference. Bob or Mike told me that this is pretty much the main big difference with version 1 and 2...Not 3 of course, because they(klipsch) changed drivers as well.

When I put the 2" port in the CF3 version 1 the awesome lows were gone!..I coulndt believe it..I cant wait to see how the CF4 is going to act with the 4" ports..THe ports are easily interchangable. But then again maybe the 4" ports might be to much bass for the CF4's//anyways im on a mission to find these ports if anyone can help..I read on one post that owner of the 4"s cut them...WHAT???? I couldnt believe it..LOL Im here trying hard to find these and this guys just cuts them!

you may have misread what i did with mine. i cut a slit down one side of my short ports so i could slip a short section of 4"PVC pipe over the port tube from inside the speaker cabinet to mimic the longer ports for testing.

no..Im actually trying to do what you did..read this

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/p/86149/868104.aspx

Someone actually hacked a 5" to a 2"..the dude went from version 1 to 3.lol

Alright sent crossovers to bob, and decided I would restore the cabs on the cf4s..Im want to repaint the front black panel..Do you guys know what material they are? And the one of the drivers is a bit dirty, i tried a damp towel but after a day the spots came back?

What paint can I use for this front panel..I tried a flat black and im not sure if its a right match

I am not sure if the Epic series uses the same baffle finish as did the KLF Legend series (perhaps someone can confirm this) but I suspect it might be the same. The Legend KLF series use a Melamine laminate on both sides of both the front and back baffles. Bonding to melamine is not simple to do. you will need to sand the surface to roughen it up so a coat of paint will stick and I would recommend a coat of top quality primer then what ever paint you like. Contact a real pro paint supplier and ask specifically if they have a primer or paint which will bond to Melamine and and follow to the letter the directions for surface prep and application. If the surface is Melamine you can use paint thinnerr or varsol to clean the surface. Melamine and bonding issues were a big part of the reason Klipsch had trouble with KLF baffles comming loose (along with defective adhesive that was not the fault of Klipsch). If you check into it you will quickly find there are very few adhesives or sealants which will bond to Melamine. I rebuilt a pair of KLF 20 removed all four baffles and abraded all the Melamine surfaces prior to bonding with new adhesive. they should be good for the long haul now. Good luck the CF 3&4 are both great speakers worth the effort you might give to them they are sure to return the favor with a lot of enjoyment. Best regards Moray James.