Quicksilver Horn Monos

Tarheel

Gentlemen.....I need some help with the above mentioned amps. One of the two monos would not power up. I changed the fuse which was blown ( I suspect I turned the amp off and then on too fast) to a like value but not identical fuse and still no power. I changed the two power tubes and the small tube (rectifier?) and still nothing. The amps are fed by a JM Blueberry preamp.

Since there are no tube friendly repair shops around these parts (Wilmington, NC) any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Just had the idea to take the fuse out of the good amp and try it in the amp that will not power up. Now the bad amp works. Guess maybe the car parts fuse though 2A were not the same? The original fuse has a spring type filament. The new fuses have a staight line filament. I will power down and order a couple of fuses from Quicksilver Audio.

Could be the car fuse was simply bad. Or maybe you didn't quite get it installed correctly. Whatever the problem, now you have two working amps so now the party can continue.

On the Quicksilver, I know that they also made/make a nice looking tube pre. Have you tried that one?

check to see if the fuse calls for slow blow or quick blow.

if it calls for quick blow....and it works only with slow blow....you most likely have a bad power suppl cap....other factors is high wall out let votage which will increase current thru the power supply....

Thanks guys. Mike Sanders with QS called and said I needed the slow blow fuses and not standard automotive type fuses. Spot on Fritz.

JL...I have an old full function pre from the early 90s and like it a lot. The JM Blueberry is in rotation now but the phono on the QS is really sweet.