ProMedia 5.1 Service

MaG

I have a Promedia 5.1 System. Recently the 5 surround speakers began to intermittenly cut out, checked all of the connections and eveything is connected. Eventually they stopped working and all I can hear now is low muted Bass through the sub.

Looking for advice and who could actually service the unit and whether it would be worth it. I purchased this set in 2002 and have enjoyed them.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Alsa, after several years of service, my Ultra ProMedia 5.1 system is dying. It may be my sound card, I haven't checked it on another system yet, but I fear the worst. For some reason, the amps in those subs just don't hold out well. I hope you are not experiencing this also. The satelite speakers are excellent and are rms 60 watts. If you gonnect them to a good used 5.1 surround receiver, and add a sub, you can use them in a small home theater setup. The sub becomes a doorstop, unless you want to make it your sub by cutting the old amp out, and replacing it with a new plate amp. Plate amps are available at parts express (Dayton Audio SA240 for example). I believe the sub is 150 or 200 watts, and it has two 8" drivers.

All that may be more trouble than it is worth.

Thanks I have the original 5.1 with the 500 Watt BASH Amp, I did e-mail tech support, I am sure it is the Amp and not the sound card as I put an inexpensive set of Logitechs on until I can see if the Amp can be repaired at a reasonable cost. Good thought on replacing it if repair is not an option.

I love the set and the sound and want to keep using it if I can get the Amp Repaired. Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.

Anything can be repaired and I would imagine you can find a local Mom & Pop Electronics shop that is capable of trouble shooting the unit. If the problem was a relay then the system would be on or off and not intermittent where as a resistor or capacitor could be the problem. I would venture to say the vibration of the base could have broken loose a connection. That is – if it is your amp and not the controller. Could be anything. Here is the wiring schematic - http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/5-1/5-1_bash_amp.htm

Until you get it fixed you can connect the sound card to another amp source such as a receiver. Sound Cards are analog and are line level outputs. I know M Audio is and Creative claims to be but I don’t trust nor like any of their products – same for Turtle Beach. You can get 3.5mm Mini Jacks from Hosa Technology and they are sold at Best Buy. Just match the signals shown on the image below and you should be fine.

ps – if you hook up Klipsch Reference speakers and fire up a MP3, you ain’t going back to ProMedia.

~

post-16687-13819665151982_thumb.gif

Heat is the usual culprit on the Bash Amp. There are several offerings on the Bay for cooling kits and service. Also do a search of this site as there are many threads on the 5.1 Pro-Media system. There are several repair options available. I have had mine repaired and have a spare backup amp. The fix is simple of you want to DIY, but you must adress the cooling issue or you will be back in the same boat in a couple of years. The replacement parts are a bit more heat tolerant, but it still gets pretty hot in the Box.....! There is one guy that fixes them on a regular basis but his communications SUCK and you may not live long enough to see your Bash Amp again, but his prices are very reasonable. I guess you get what you pay for CHEAP = SLOW.....! His communications are intollerable and he is proned to fib about the delivery date of your particular amp. You will come across him in the researched threads. I am 2-1/2 uears into his repair and have not had any further problems since I installed "The Fan" His work and parts are top notch, he is just plain terrible as a businessman and it is a shame..... This post is not an endorsement of anyone that repairs them, just my experience. Your Milage May Vary........................[;)]

Good Luck

• 2 months later...

Dear Heli001,

Can anyone post the fix? I'd like to try and fix it myself if it is not too much trouble. I have the board removed and checked it for any "charred" components but couldn't find any. I am planning on sending it in to one of those individuals who repairs them if I can't figure it out myself. Mine works but there is a loud humm so I only turn it on when I really want to hear something. It's a shame. I've tried looking for a wiring diagram - schematic, but I haven't had any success with that either.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I received my amp back from repair and it includes the cooling fan. All appears in order and the speakers function very well again. There is no discernable humm from the speakers or fan noise from the subwoofer enclosure. I'll let it be for now. I think it should be fine.

Thanks for your response.

Cannon----,

I must apologize as I completely MISSED your question, back in January. I am very glad that you have had your amp repaired amd with the fan, should last you a very long time. For future reference, there are several parts that compromise the trouble. It is most always, a part that was not rated for the internal and constant temperatures that are inside the box. The fan is an easy fix and anyone that owns a Pro Media and a Bash amp, should look into it. It will make the amp last indefinately and it would have seemed that Bash would have picked up on this idea..... The Pro Medias are some of the finest sounding computer speakers out there and it is a total shame that a couple of parts that cost a few dollars, fail on a regular basis. All of the fixes that I have seen use higher rated temperature parts, which seem to solve the problem, even without the fan option. If you used the same guy I did, I am confident that the repair was a good one and I seemed to outlive the return of the amp, which took four months.

Would it be possible to share where the repairs were done and approximate cost, also a list of what is typically replaced from a part type and part # perspective. I would like to have my BASH Amp repaired as well. Thank you in advance.

MAG

I had the repair done by Henry Koch, htkclk@juno.com. When I initially contacted him, he indicated he was quite busy but gave me a window when he would have more time. I contacted him again around that time and it took about 8 weeks door-to-door for the repair and cost about $130 including all shipping charges, parts, and labor. He also included a 90 day warranty on the repair, though he gave it a burn in to make sure all was in order before shipping it to me. He provided a specific detail of the repair but I prefer not to provide all of those details. He did me a service and is trying to make a little money. Here is a summary of the work. He replaced 29 components, adjusted the subwoofer amplifier current, and installed a fan and its power supply.

As others have said on this board, my comments are my opinion. I don't know Henry and don't have any recommendation one way or the other. I will simply say that I am satisfied with the services he provided and the communication we had. Your results may vary.

Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if there is standard set of components that fail if I wanted to attempt this repair myself, seems there is a common issue here with this design and I was wondering aside from the heat issue, what typically fails in the Amp? Also, is Henry the only possible avenue for repair, I am assuming Klipsch will not services this product?