LaScala help

Jmcnatt

I have owned a pair for 18 years and not used them for the last 10 as they have lived in the corner of my shop. I pulled them out and played some music through them yesterday and I now have a really big desire to restore these speakers. I've been reading many posts here and I'm impressed with how many people there are still playing LaScalas and especially how many services are still available. Glad this forum is here and I look forward to asking a little advice from you guys.

Thanks

John

John, welcome to the forums.

You can do a few searches, lots of restoration info here.

Can you give us a litte infor about your Lascala's?

Crossover?

Drivers?

Hope you are enjoying your Lascala's, they have always been one of my favorites.

Dave Harris

AL crossover. The back of the tweeter is square and the mid is the K55. The cabinets are in ok shape and I have wanted to make new ones for years. They are way too big to put in my new house and I'm interested in the cornscala idea. I love the way they sounded years ago but now they need a lot of love. To restore to original? Restore with upgrades? Use some of the components and build new cabinets and actually use them?

AL crossover. The back of the tweeter is square and the mid is the K55. The cabinets are in ok shape and I have wanted to make new ones for years. They are way too big to put in my new house and I'm interested in the cornscala idea. I love the way they sounded years ago but now they need a lot of love. To restore to original? Restore with upgrades? Use some of the components and build new cabinets and actually use them?

Nice, there are quite a few mods available for your speakers, however I would start with a crossover change.

Bob Crites and ALK Engineering both have nice replacement crossovers, and several to choose from.

The Cornscala is a great speaker choice, I have built several myself. Except for the AL crossovers, you can use any of the remaining Lascala parts to build a Cornscala.

Keep in mind, your Lascala's still have value, if you decide to go the Cornscala route, you may want to sell the Lascala's complete and start from scratch.

Dave

Nice, there are quite a few mods available for your speakers, however I would start with a crossover change.

Bob Crites and ALK Engineering both have nice replacement crossovers, and several to choose from.

The Cornscala is a great speaker choice, I have built several myself. Except for the AL crossovers, you can use any of the remaining Lascala parts to build a Cornscala.

Keep in mind, your Lascala's still have value, if you decide to go the Cornscala route, you may want to sell the Lascala's complete and start from scratch.

Dave

GotHover is right... your Scala still has value, you'd better to sell them and buy new parts for Cornscala and let the Scala still live... turning a Scala to a Cornscala and throwing away the cabinets is like cutting a living tree... keep in mind a close number of Heritage speakers were made

Welcome to the forum! IMO look at Bob Crites website about crossovers. The AL is kinda the one people don't like much. Sorry. That is where I would start. The speakers you have are probably worth about $1,000 for the pair. If you get the crossovers like they should be, and add a subwoofer to the pair, you will have a sound that is great. If you have a home theater system, and you borrow the sub from it and use it with your old stereo receiver and the Lascalas as they are you will see what I mean. Later, if you want a project, build a BF T-60 horn loaded sub.

I talked to bob crites today and I think the avenue I'm going to take right now is a set of his 4500 crossovers and new tweeters. After that I will be able to see what else needs replacing. Thank you all for your help and I'm not going to make new speakers from my LaScalas components.

I talked to bob crites today and I think the avenue I'm going to take right now is a set of his 4500 crossovers and new tweeters. After that I will be able to see what else needs replacing. Thank you all for your help and I'm not going to make new speakers from my LaScalas components.

Nice, I am sure you will be pleased.

Dave

I'm curious. When rebuilding my speakers, is it necessary to keep the terminal block separating the crossover to the woofer or can I run new wires directly from crossover to woofer drilling a hole in the cabinet and filling it with silicone?

Makes little difference, however the direct connection is best as long as the cabinet is sealed.

Dave

I'm curious. When rebuilding my speakers, is it necessary to keep the terminal block separating the crossover to the woofer or can I run new wires directly from crossover to woofer drilling a hole in the cabinet and filling it with silicone?

I got rid of it and used better/different wires.

if it's been 10 years - suggest you just plug em in and listen for a whlle. Do they NEED 'upgrading'?

There's nothing wrong with the factory wiring, I've never seen a bit of it corrode unlike some high-priced 'audiophile' OFC wire I've purchased in the past.

If it aint' broke quit screwing with it.

Michael