Upgrading from RF-82's?

Duff

Hi,

I have read countless threads on this forum, this is my first time actually posting anything. Seems you guys have a lot of knowledge and know how and i want to have the same when it comes to Klipsch speakers. Bought my first pair about 2 years ago, RF-82's. Absolutely love them. From the second i brought them home. Since i got them i had them hooked up to a harman kardon AVR 3600 and thought it was a good combo, however, recently i have been very interested in some vintage audio and stumbled across a harman kardon HK 330i and it is almost as good. Almost disheartening considering my 3600 was $1000 and the 330i was $30.

However, i digress, i am in contact (shady at best really) with a guy in my city who is selling a pair of Herey ii's with sequencial serial numbers. I have read a lot about them and am almost certain i will buy them. He is asking $390. I am not sure if this is reasonable or not, i am assuming maybe? however i know nothing about the shape they are in yet or working order, i have only seen one picture so far and haven't listened to them. I am currently a student, (probably the youngest guy on this forum it seems....thank god i am learning about klipsch heritage before i blew all my cash on crap (namely anything not klipsch haha)) and i am pretty strapped for cash, so i have to be pretty certain this a worthwhile deal for me to act on it. Any thoughts on it? how will they compare to my RF-82's? Is there any basic work that needs to be done to almost all old Heresy speakers? etc. etc., from what i have read so far, you guys know the drill, this isn't your first rodeo.

Hola, Duff.

Do you hve a sub? The HII will not dig as deep as your RFs. They will surpass the RFs in midrange clarity, where the meat of the music is. You'll love living in the midrange! Heresy + sub systems will rival larger Heritage speakers and exceed the RFs. IMHO.

Listen to them. Inspect them thoroughly, any cab blemishes you can use to haggle down the price.

Folks in these parts generally consider the HIII to be the best iteration of the breed. The upgrade kit from Klipsch is a worthy investment, now or down the road. Bob Crites also offers crossover and driver upgrades, is reasonably priced, fast, and a pleasure to deal with. Crossover and driver upgrades will result in notable gains, very worthwhile.

Thanks for the input guys. I am still trying to get in touch with the guy selling them. I e-mailed him, he replied to my initial email but i havent gotten anything back yet about meeting or anything further. The more i am thinking about it, the more i want these heresy speakers. I am really hoping it works out because this is the first and only time i have ever seen speakers like this before in my city. Does anything know of anywhere else/anyone in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada?

The 82's are a pretty good speaker. They can use the finest electronics and still hang in there. The Heritage speakers are another animal, they have their own sound. Personally I like both but the 82's are pretty good so if you want a better step up, I'd look for some Cornwalls or LaScalas. Don't get me wrong I love my H3s and they are a perfect size but the RFs are a good speaker and you can stick with them as you upgrade the rest of your system. Then again for 390 bucks, how can you go wrong?

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Ahhh.

I was going to say that for $390 they better be in near-perfect shape. But the rarety is greater in Canada and I paid closer to $600 for a pristine pair a few years back on ebay. $390 is a good price, but just make sure that all drivers work and that they are in decent shape.

Alright, so first off, thank you guys for the input.Today i went and picked up the speakers. I bought them off an 80 year old man who used them for 3-4 years in the 90's so that he could MC an annual bocci ball tournament he had with his friends. The sole purpose he bought and used them. Visually, they are in really good condition, i would say 8.5/10, maybe 9. I took the grills off and inside looks about 2 weeks old tops. I have been listening to them for a couple of hours now and i hve to say that i am in love. The mids and highs are far far far far superior to my RF-82's. Way more clear, way less harsh and just more enjoyable. They do have less bass, but they still have a great amount for the application they are being used for right now. I haggled him down to $350. Money in the bank in my opinion right now. My only concern right now is where i am going to find a pair of cornwalls next summer for my Klipsch progression haha.

I have a couple questions about them though, one, is it possible to change the terminal in the back so that they can be connected via banana plugs? Because right now it is using the old school hook up and i would prefer banana plugs. And secondly, these are in black, and i would prefer if they were the birch colour i see many of them in. Is it possible to change the color and keep the wood finish? I can't recall seeing any projects as such. And lastly, i havent opened them up yet, but when i do, i am wondering what i should be looking for as signs of wear/tear and problems?

Score![Y]

i hve to say that i am in love. The mids and highs are far far far far superior to my RF-82's

Another Heritage convert. Livin' in the midrange, oh yeah!

My only concern right now is where i am going to find a pair of cornwalls next summer for my Klipsch progression

Nah, just save up for some big subs. You'll have Cornwall type performance with more placement flexibility.

is it possible to change the terminal in the back so that they can be connected via banana plugs?

Parts Express can hook you up.

Is it possible to change the color and keep the wood finish?

Yes, but be careful, the veneer is quite thin. Check through the forums, I'm sure this one's been answered somewhere. It will involve removing the old finish with some type of solvent, light sanding, and re-stainig w/ boiled linseed oil or oil/varnish of your choice, re-sand again, reapply finish again, re-sand...Despite the tedium, you can get them looking just gorgeous.

Use the SN to determine their age. As HIIs, I imagine the caps are tired. I would have to say that new crossover bits makes a notable difference, so strongly consider either the Klipsch HIII upgrade or Crites updates.