A little comparison....

rowooo

I finally went out and bought a DVD player around a month ago. The reason I waited this long is I was still holding on and upset over the end of the laserdisc era. Anyway I bought a Toshiba dvd that I'm really happy with. I really enjoy watching movies on this new unit. I had some free time today"no kids" so I decided to compare some cd's with the new dvd player going against my Adcom GCD-700. I was hoping my old Adcom would sound considerable better realizing it costs 600.00 more than the Toshiba. WHEW!!!!! Thank God I was right. The Adcom absolutely blew the dvd player out. It was immediately noticeable. I first played some familiar discs on the dvd player. I actually thought something was set wrong or different on my preamp. It sounded like there was a thick blanket over each speaker. I played a few songs on a couple discs and then switched to the Adcom. Wow, no more compressed sound, the dynamics were back, and the detail and space was immediately back. Conclusion....I'll still enjoy watching movies on my new Toshiba DVD player, but my music will always be played through my MMF-5 or Adcom 700.

Thanks for the info.

I don't have a DVD player and I have an old Denon 1989 vintage CD player (DCD-620). I would like to eventually get a DVD player and at the same time upgrade my CD player with the same unit. Does anyone have any recommendations of a DVD player which could double as a high quality (upper mid-fi) CD player?

Thanks,

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 05-06-2002 at 09:31 PM

My Sony DVP-S3000 did/does a darn good job with both formats. It's boxed up, now because it doesn't pass DTS from a DVD. It's analog section sounds better than the Panasonic progressive scan DVD/DVD-A player that replaced it.

John