RC-3 and RC-7 tug of war. Please help.

I went to a local Klipsch dealer and inquired about the RC-7 center speaker. The dealer told me that it's an overkill, and I only need the RC-3. BTW, I have RF-5 as mains. In this case, what does it mean when the dealer said 'RC-7 is an overkill' ? How much difference in sound would I get between RC-3 and RC-7? Well it justify the $300 difference? I'm confused.

your dealer, like the majority of them and the home theater enthusiast poupulation, is wrong. there can be no overkill at the center. it is the single most important speaker in home theater, as 60-75% of the sound goes to the center channel.

go with the RC-7, it will more than make up for the price difference. I am going to buy RF-3s and probably an RC-7 as well, so you can see the RC-7 will definitely NOT be overkill for your speakers. It will sound better, fuller, and will have better quality than the RC-3. Plus, the RC-3 looks wimpy compared to the big 7. and you certainly don't want a wimpy center channel.

------------------

http://members.fortunecity.com/sebdavid - go laugh at my crappy website/equipment

http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mc.asp?alias=Sebdavid - go laugh at my puny little DVD collection

Leslie,

I have been making the same considerations concerning the RC-3 or 7 with the RF-5. There have been a few responses on the HT page for my thread "RF-5 with RC-3". IMO you will be fine with either the RC-3 or 7. I think it depends on the size of your room, the amount of room you have for the center and available finances. I have listened to both, but only the RC-7 with the RF-5. I am leaning toward the RC-3, so I can place it below the TV on the stand. The store where I plan to purchase also has a one-year upgrade policy, so if I'm not happy I will exchange.

Have you been happy with the RF-5's? What surround are you planning to use?

Max, I am happy with my RF-5s (in maple and totally matches my custom entertaiment center). I already have SS1 for my surround. I am probably getting the RC-7 although I haven't really heard both the 3 and the 7 on how the sound.

Seb said, "your dealer, like the majority of them and the home theater enthusiast poupulation, is wrong. there can be no overkill at the center. it is the single most important speaker in home theater, as 60-75% of the sound goes to the center channel."

I agree here too. If you were ever gonna make a mistake and go BIGGER, here is the place. Nothing worse than a bad center IMO especially again 60-75%+ of the dialoge comes from here.

My 2 Cents

Guest BobG

The high frequency driver in the RC-7 (and RF-7) is a very high performance unit that delivers incredible detail and dynamics. At high volume levels or with very complex information, the RC-7 has superior intelligibility. Having heard it both ways, I prefer RC-7 with RF-5.

"Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"