Amplifier for Klipsch Fortè I

daniele

it would seem that your amps are pretty good. You did not mention what source you are using. You will go a lot farther with a better source right now and that will also make choosing a new amp easier later on should you decide to buy new electronics. Remember the old saying of junk in junk out. Best regards Moray James.

Class D amps are maturing, and there are a lot of excellent ones out there now. It looks like the GALACTRON may be such an amp, but that's just a guess. Even with those, you're still not going to surpass what you have now. They are designed for low distortion reproduction, with low output impedance, and to behave (ideally) as voltage source type amps. Just like what you have now.

In these days i'm listening music with the pre Proton and the Trand Audio 10.1 setted like power amplifier becouse my proton as little problem on the light of Vmeter.

It sounds very good. It sound better than MAA406. I can't believe when i listen to it the first time. I could listen to it for hours.

If you are wanting to make things ambiguously "better", don't worry
about the Proton; focus on the room and speakers (have you replaced caps
in your crossover yet? Experimented with speaker location or room
treatments?). Unless you're running out of power (highly doubtful, as
your Proton is capable of delivering, what, 500 unclipped watts into a 4
ohm load?), changing amps is a waste of time and money.

In the room there isn't so much to do but probably i have a lot to do on the speakers. Could you tell me a place where i can find instruction to replace caps in the crossover?

When you start going down the path of tubes, it's their higher output
impedances will play differently with your speakers. The effect
is essentially like crapping on the signal for positive effect. "Horns
love tubes" is kind of trite, but it's true. Such combos will win the
Pepsi challenge more often than not.

I think that the CAYIN A88T could be my amp (it has remote too) but i should but it becouse nobody has it in my town. I have found one for 800€ that is more than 1000$.

has anybody here tested it with Klipsch Forte?

it would seem that your amps are pretty good. You did not mention what source you are using. You will go a lot farther with a better source right now and that will also make choosing a new amp easier later on should you decide to buy new electronics. Remember the old saying of junk in junk out. Best regards Moray James.

i'm happy with my proton but i think i could improve with valve expecially in the midrange. I usually use a v-dac and a thorens TD150, i haven't the cdplayer, a lot of cds, but i rip them to flac and i listen with Vdac

Could you tell me a place where i can find instruction to replace caps in the crossover?

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

Shipping to Italy would be cost prohibitive, but take a look at Bob's site for some ideas.

I think that the CAYIN A88T could be my amp (it has remote too) but i should but it becouse nobody has it in my town. I have found one for 800€ that is more than 1000$.

Yeah, I'd pass, that's probably too much. Haggle them down, or pass. Now, if you found an ASL Wave-8 for a quarter of that price, you're in business. (Oh, wait, no remote. Doesn't your proton pre-amp have a remote?) Something will pop up, so keep your eyes open.

But if i could take the CAYIN for less money do you think it could be good with the Fortè? or do you think that the pre proton + for example a DYNACO ST 70 could be better? or a tube preamp with my power amplifier proton is the best choice?

As you can see i'm really confused...[*-)]

But if i could take the CAYIN for less money do you think it could be good with the Fortè? or do you think that the pre proton + for example a DYNACO ST 70 could be better? or a tube preamp with my power amplifier proton is the best choice?

As you can see i'm really confused...Confused

And you're picking our brains for info, which is what you should be doing at this stage.

The Cayin for less would probably work fine, as would the ST70, assuming it's up to snuff. Check out used values on each (eBay sales data, audiogon blue book) to make sure you don't pay too much. Don't pay more than you think you can re-sell it for, should you find it not to your liking. For the ST70, find out what, if anything, has been done as far as maintenance/upgrades. With used, I always audition before I buy, which rules out many potential purchases, but I just feel safer that way. Post any specific listing here for feedback.

Many forum users here use tube pre-amps to inject a bit of tube flavor. By doing so, you retain the benefits of proper ss power (low distortion, bass damping/control and power, extension at both ends), and get a bit of tubey harmonic embellishment. Or not, as low level tube circuits can be as neutral or as colored as the designer wishes.

I prefer tube amplifiers rather than line stages, because most of the 'flavor' I seek is due to interaction between the amps and speakers. That is only my personal choice, and one that strays from strict fidelity, but que sera sera. My ears dictate what sounds good to me, and I like it.

OldTimer is correct, fortes are not too terribly picky. And what you currently have is pretty darn good. Which means you should be patient, picky, and frugal regarding your tube amp or tube pre- you experiment with. If you can negotiate a reasonable price for a Cayin or ST70, either of which would be 'different' than what you're used to, don't be afraid to give it a try.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to share with you my experience:

thanks to my Friend Fabio i have listen in these days a Fisher x-100A.With my Fortes it sounds great. Where the Proton seems to scream, the Fisher is well-balanced and natural. Drum, voice, synth are warm and real. So, the Fisher is the best amp i've ever heard with my Klipsch Fortè.

ps. my english is not so well to describe perfectly it

Nice! Is that a loaner, or the one you were considering buying? Regardless, it's good to hear what it does on your fortes as a first step, to get familiar with what you're shopping for.

Now, if it's still plugged in, throw on some music, get down and boogie!

That is a loaner, i can listen to it for two weeks then i have to give him back but now i'm not so confused as i was sometimes ago, now i'm sure at 100% that my Fortes needs Tubes

...and yes now it's time to listen some music and...boogie!!:-)