Quick Bi-wire question....Just got my RP3's

Wow these things are AWESOME!!! I got them all setup, bi-wired (12ga to the bottom, 16ga on top) and they really pump out. The difference is night and day from what I had before (yamahas). These are so good that I just placed an order for the RC-3II. I just couldn't wait for next pay check. Who needs to eat anyway. cwm35.gif

I think I'll replace my surrounds with the RS-3 II's. But I would need 3 and that is getting pricey. The time will come.

I'm using a Pioneer VSX-850s.

I'm still working out the options for the rear and surrounds. Right now I have two nice Wharfedale surrounds (valdus 200s) and I will move my Mission 77c1 front center to the rear center. That matches the Wharfedale sound nicely.

I did some auditioning of the the RS-3's at Soundtrack when I was first starting to think of getting some Klipsch mains. It was a tossup between the RS-3's and some Def Tech bipolars. No offense to Klipsch but I did kinda lean towards the Def Techs for the same price. Don't have the model number.

I'm just hoping I can find these online for a good price. They are like $250/each everywhere I look. I don't want to pay more than $500 for all three, whichever option I go for.

lynx, when getting the center & surrounds i'd give much more weight to those speaks that voice/timbre match best to the rp (not just those that sound better).

it's the sum of the parts that matters in 5.1 or higher. & the rc & rs are specifically designed to match up w/ the rp. non-matching speaks will probably wear on u over time whereas the matching refs will maintain that desired cohesiveness for the long term.

unless you don't like cohesiveness. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Oh I know matching is a huge key in 5.1, 6.1 setups. That is why I'm springing for the new center right away. cwm1.gif

When I demoed the surrounds I had the fronts running RF-5's, and an RC-3 II center. So the sound in the demo room should be similar to what I would be running at home.

I'll go back and do some more demos and take some of my own discs that I'll run at home first to get them fresh in my mind.

This is my current setup and room. I haven't updated the new hardware yet(back surrounds are Valdus 200's and of course the RP3's) but you get an idea of room layout and what I have to work with.

lynx, cool site! to get the best idea of how anything will sound at home is to demo it at your home. different speaks (even within the same ref line) & dif rooms can make a huge dif. in fact it can be said that

the room makes the biggest dif on sound than anything else. if you get any non-matching speaks u had better do some real through testing w/ them w/ your equip in YOUR sound room.

just my 2 cents. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks Boa. The Soundtrack near me did say that I can take any pair of the speakers home and try them out first so I think I will do that. I don't know if I can get out of the store with a pair of each though. cwm6.gif

My room is really weird anyway since it is vaulted ceilings and then no back wall below 7 feet. I can get some wierd reflections if I'm not careful. cwm20.gif

Ok I put the speakers at Soundtrack through their paces tonight. I spent two hours going through multiple dvds replaying key scenes and kept switching back and forth between RS-3's and some Def Tech. It was a tough call. Some stuff I prefered the Def Tech while others I prefered the Klipsch. But in the end I am going with two RS-3II's for the surrounds and another RC-3II for my rear center.

I can't get them this month but will go for it next month.

I agree with my two friends here,Lynxfx.Buying the correct matching speakers is like an insurance policy against future unhappiness.

The setup should sound fantastic compared to your prior equipment(not to be critical!).The subs in the RP's should handily outperform your old sub.You would probably be better off not using the old sub with your new speakers.

Thought about letting your RP's handle your LFE via your receiver's sub out? Boa is the main man to ask about that setup.

Enjoy your new to toys!

Keith

yes as keith says if your receiver has that option to send LFE ONLY to the sub out you may want to do it w/ that other sub & see if that sounds better on 2 channel music stuff. iow, use the seperate sub only for LFE so it doesn't mess up the bass along w/ your dual rp subs.

& while you're at it then, u could daisy chain in those lfe ins/outs of the rp to the powered sub using that lfe only setting. just something to try l & use or buy more sub interconnects. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yeah I can set up the LFE out seperately. I have a crappy sub now and never upgraded it because it is pretty much off. Neighbors below, they don't like stuff falling off their walls. Go figure. cwm4.gif

The bass shakers make up for it though.

I'll try running an RCA to the RP3's to see what happens. It is going to have to be a long one though, probably end up making it myself.

I rarely if ever listen to music so these are 99% for Home Theatre.