x10 repair?

morrisericd

I have a pair of 4 or so year old x10's that have the splitting rubber on the earbud I've seen documented here. I also somehow exposed the wires in one spot and would like to have my ugly electrical tape repair fixed or the cable replaced. I've emailed support and it seems like if it's out of warranty then they don't want anything to do with it. Have others gotten the brush-off for out of warranty issues? These are $350 earbuds - I'd like to keep them for a long time (they sound great by the way. I'm a furniture maker and wear these 6-8 hours a day). If I can't convince Klipsch to repair them, I'll need a recommendation of a repair shop. Thanks.

Mine were just out of warranty with the same damage I though of putting some heat shrink electrical tubing over the cracked area. I was thinking the more flexible adhesive type rather than the harder and shinier plastic type. I never did it because I remembered that american express extended the manufacture's coverage if you buy with your card so I got coverage from them. I do not know about repairs but those are some tiny wires and housings that do not seem to lend themselves to repair.

If they still work just fine, I would go one of two routes. I would either do the flexible heat shrink option. The second, possibly not as solid of a repair, would be to use Plasti Dip.

I'll attach a link to the Plasti Dip. Heat Shrink is pretty self-explanatory.

http://lifehacker.com/5795122/use-plasti-dip-to-fix-stripped-headphone-wires

Good luck!

A very good source told me rubber cement should help preserve splitting strain relievfs. Had my X10's replaces just before the warranty expired and the replacements have now spit again after almost a year? But not very much. And when I noticed it on the orignals it never did seem to get worse.

In all honesty. I do use my X10's when I mow and do other yard work under some passive hearing protection 'phones and I did notice one time that a bit of gas did get through my leather gloves to my finger one time when refilling the tank so it's possible I had previously refilled the tank in the same manner and then adjusted the X10's with a small amount of gasoline on one of my fingers. Of course maybe the fumes aren't reall good for 'em either?

I think gas is the only thing Professor Thump once posted they could get to disoleve the adhesive holding the strain reliefs together.

I will need to ask though do I just glue together where separated with the rubber cement or fill the void? I'll have to ask before I try. I'm not sure it's been tried but sounds like it could work and shouldn't do any harm.

Thanks for the replies...

I had another go-around with Klipsch customer service and cannot believe that they either: don't fix headphones in-house or, at the very least, wouldn't recommend a source that could. My headphones are certainly functional but the cracking around the headphones and the exposed wire wrapped in electrical tape is ugly.

I'll try the strain relief ideas and heat shrink the wire but this interaction has left me with a bad feeling about Klipsch. I mean, how hard is it to say: "while we don't do in house repairs, I recommend...". Instead the guy wrote "there is no way to repair the headphones without destroying them". Cop-out!

I understand your frustration. I think the stain relief should have been redesigned by now. Is also think the design is the reason they do not lend themselves to repair. The small design is also why they fit me so well. I will probably get another pair with the controls for the iphone 4s and be carefully to only remove them by the ear pieces rather than pulling on the cords on occasion. Even with the drawbacks they are the best fitting and sounding portable phones for me.

• 2 weeks later...