Upgrading home theater $3000 budget

flyinace3

I am upgrading my home theater from polk LSI300,s which I find to be a very boring sounding speaker

I will be using a 7.1 channel setup with a yamaha rxv665 receiver a hsu VTF-2 MK 4 subwoofer for the lows

I listen to mostly rock and country music, this system will be used for 50/50 movies and music.

My room measurements are 15x22x8 high mostly hard sufaces hardwood floors ect

Here is the two options I am looking at and would like your opnions and advise.

RF-82II front

RC-62II center

RS-43II surrounds

or

WF-35 front

WC-24 center

WS-24 surrounds

I have found the WF series at newegg for a total of $2079

And the RF's at newaudiovideo for $2119 which seems to cheap to me which makes me wonder if anyone has any experiance with this company and they claim to be a authorized klipsch dealer.

I am open to suggestions for this setup

And on the RF series how does the cherry finish compared to the WF's

The Reference speakers are in a different league. If you demo them you will understand what I am saying.

As for the price, sometimes you can get 'B' stock speakers new for a good bit less. It could also be open box stuff. There are RF-82 II's all over fleaBay for $899 per pair open box. Perhaps that is what they are selling you.

The Reference speakers are in a different league. If you demo them you will understand what I am saying.

As for the price, sometimes you can get 'B' stock speakers new for a good bit less. It could also be open box stuff. There are RF-82 II's all over fleaBay for $899 per pair open box. Perhaps that is what they are selling you.

I diasgree mustang guy. I have both systems and it is a close call (these are the Icon W, not Icon V). I prefer the WF-35s for music and the RF-82s for HT. SubXero has had the older RF-82 equivalent (RF-3) and recently purchased the WF-35 line-up. He also believes it to be a close call, but does prefer the Reference. See this thread, which links to other detailed threads about Reference versus the WF-35: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/155161.aspx

I have done blind A/B testing using my Onkyo receiver with 4 folks playing their choice of music. Small sample size but 3/4 preferred the Icon's for music + me would be 80% for Icons. For movies, everyone prefers the Reference. Matter of taste and use.

Also, if you get newegg.com's e-blast subscription, they send out weekly sales to your e-mail. The WF-35s can be had for 299.00 each, the WC-24 for $220.00, and two WF-14s for $219.00 or two WS-24s for $199.00 each. For 7 speakers, that's under $1700.00 shipped to your door.

I checked the Klipsch authorized on-line dealer list. Newaudiovideo does not appear on this list, but does appear on the on-line "NOT" authorized to sell to sell Klipsch products list. This purchase would nullify any warranty from Klipsch. I would rather pay a fair price and obtain a factory authorized warranty. This would maintain the integrity of the dealer and customer loyalty to the fine products produced by Klipsch. [H]

Just placed the order on newegg, so in 3 days I should have it

This is what I ended up with

Icon W series in esspresso finish

2-WF-35 Floorstanding

1-WC-24 center

2-WB-14 bookself

4-WS-24 surrounds

1-RW-12D subwoofer

1-ONKYO TX-NR609 Receiver

Grand total $2039.91 including shipping

I hope this will be a nice upgrade from my polk lsi-300's

Now which receiver to use for these new speakers

Yamaha RXV-665

Pioneer VSX921k

Onkyo TX-NR609

congrats!! that is going to be a hell of a setup. Just be sure to set the crossovers on everything to about 70hz and you could even get away with 50-60hz on the wf-35's and let the sub do the heavy lifting for you. If i were you, you have alot of speakers running, i would test all 3 to see which one is performing best. Receivers pushing 9 speakers are going to run out of gas pretty quick and some may hold up better than others. Your onkyo should treat you really well i think.

I did some heavy listening last night with my wb-14's and i am really happy with their performance keeping in mind that they are bookshelfs.

Please make sure to buy some quality cabling for everything. Monoprice.com is fantastic for almost everything. Emotiva.com has excellent interconnect kits you can purchase if you like to use banana plugs, theirs are excellent, my favorite so far.

Just placed the order on newegg, so in 3 days I should have it
This is what I ended up with
Icon W series in esspresso finish
2-WF-35 Floorstanding
1-WC-24 center
2-WB-14 bookself
4-WS-24 surrounds
1-RW-12D subwoofer
1-ONKYO TX-NR609 Receiver
Grand total $2039.91 including shipping
I hope this will be a nice upgrade from my polk lsi-300's
Now which receiver to use for these new speakers
Yamaha RXV-665
Pioneer VSX921k
Onkyo TX-NR609

I stand corrected. That sounds like a nice setup. I hope you let everybody here know how it sounds!

Congrats! I think you will be quite pleased. One thing to note with your receiver versus your speakers; I believe that the Onkyo 609 can only run 7 speakers...you may have out speakered your system. The second thing is that any more than 5 speakers can begin to tax your receiver and Onkyo's run "hot" anyways. You will benefit from an external amp. The 609 does not have pre-outs required to add an external should you decide to do so at a later point. You might want to start looking into those two items before you get all gung-ho and rip into the boxes.

I would cancel 2 of the 6 surrounds/bookshelve speakers that you ordered and run a 7 speaker setup or get a different receiver that supports 9 channels

and by replacing 2 speakers (likely 2 of the 4 set that you ordered) you could add another rw12d also to help even out the bass

also being so close to the black friday / cyber monday might turn up some awesome deals

I should receive the everything on the 17th. As for the receiver I am not planning on using the onkyo 609. I am only gettng that receiver beacause in was included with the speaker package that newegg was offering as was the sub. For the receiver I am going to use in a yamaha Rxv-665 which can run 7.1 plus presence channels which I will use the WB-14. My yamaha has 7.1 preouts as well as speaker outs so I am concidering getting a external apm to power the front 2 channels. What is your opnion on powering the front 2 channels with a DJ amp like a Peavey PV900

• Stereo mode: 4 ohms, 300 watts RMS x 2
  • Stereo mode: 8 ohms, 180 watts RMS x 2

• Bridge mono mode: 4 ohms, 900 watts RMS

• Inputs: XLR, 1/4 inch and barrier strip

• Detented input gain control

• Binding post and Speakon output connectors

• Seperate Speakon mono bridge output

• Mode switch for stereo or bridge operation

• Low-cut filter switch for 40Hz low cut filter

• Built-in crossover with 150Hz switch

• Thru/low output jacks and high output jacks

• LED indicators for input signal, DDT and power

• Peavey's famous DDT compression system

• Total harmonic distortion: less than 0.03% 20Hz to 20kHz in stereo mode,
    both channels driven 10% below rated power

• Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz

• Damping factor: greater than 300

• Hum and noise: 100dB

• Rack spaces: 2

I will be sure to post as soon as the speakers come in.

The amp will drive them fine. I used a pro amp a few weeks ago to create a big iPod dock for my kid's party. Sounded fine to me. Of course, this was a rough setup in a garage with a bunch of loud as heck hip-hop in a 2.1 setup. It aint exactly classical music in an engineered listening room. :) And it wasn't a 7.1 either!