Would you say Direct View TVs have better picture quality than Rear Projections?

Kain

Well? Smile.gif

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Depends upon the environment more than any other factor, and also the way the viewing position is set up, the size of the screen, and the amount of money you spend.

Aside from everything else, ANY kind of projection TV, be it front project LCD, front projection tube, rear projection, whatever, requires a darker environment in which to watch it than a direct view monitor requires. If I tried to watch a Sunday afternoon football game in my family room on a rear-projection TV, I'd be hard pressed to see ANYTHING as I have a brightly lit room with one full side consisting of sliding glass doors with a southern exposure, and large sky lights. It would be almost impossible to darken this room sufficiently.

Ultimate resolution of a projection TV is higher than any direct view monitor. Theoretically. Whether you get that high resolution depends upon how much money you spend.

Equivalent sized RPTV and regular TeeVee will vary greatly in price - 35" or 40" TeeVee is way more than most 40" RPTV.

Off angle viewing with RPTV is still a problem, though not as bad as it used to be. If you have a bunch of folks watching a direct view set, particularly a flat screen like the big 40" Sony, the ones sitting furthest off axis will have as good a view of the picture as those sitting directly on axis. RTPV light falls dramatically as you move futher off axis, meaning even more darker (?) room is needed for them to get a good picture.

Plasma TV has best shot at matching good points of both types of systems , IMHO, but are still big bucks and not a lot of models to select from.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I agree completely with Ray Garrison! I would only add that having at least 9" CRT's (e.g., " guns") in a reverse projection TV makes a significant difference in overall performance... and progressive scanning will kick the performance even higher.

Ambient light and the ability to achieve black rather than a dark gray can be great determiners of your visual happiness. The Video Essentials set-up disk even goes so far as to suggest that the wall behind your TV should be painted a neutral gray. -HornED

Pic5.jpg

I have a Thomson 46" RPTV.

I can watch to it like a normal TV in daylight.

I recently watched a complete football game.

No, the brightness and contrast are not pushed way up.

They are even below the mid value.

The horizontal angle is 160, so no problem at all.

The vertical angle is much less, but not that important.

The picture quality is as good as a normal TV (even better!!). Yep, just bigger so you see more. Smile.gif

I even think if you would enlarge the picture of a normal TV you would be surprised what is left of the convergence and the geometry!! Take a closer look at your TV and you will see it. An RPTV has even the option to adjust that if necessary!!

The size. For an RPTV at least 43". I don't think you will find them under 43". RPTV are just there to extend the TV's in size. It is not feasible to make such a large tube.

Just... I wouldn't trade my Thomson for any normal TV. If I have the "opportunity" to see a normal TV playing I always think by myself: How the hell can you watch at such a tiny little thing. You are missing more than half of what is going on.

Moreover, my eyes are not getting tired as with a normal TV.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12

Thanks. Smile.gif

Okay, following are three TVs. One is a Sony 38" Direct View, a Sony 48" Rear Projections, and a Philips 50" Rear Projection. Out of these TVs, only the Sony 38" Direct View supports progressive scan. Please tell me which do you think provides better picture quality under optimum conditions. Smile.gif

Sony 38" Direct View

Sony 48" Rear Projection

Philips 50" Rear Projection

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Sony KV-ES38M91 (38" Direct View FD Triniton WEGA)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

KAiN64, as I understand it, a TV has to be HD ready to handle all the benefits of Progressive Scan. My 65" Mitsubishi does quite well interlaced (up to 1080i) but really comes alive with a progressive scanned DVD. I have had many large screen environments (direct view, projection, and reverse projection) and, so far, the RPHD Mitsu's have been the best over the long term.

But, with so many good alternatives, I don't envy your selection task. Happy hunting!cwm34.gif -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-11-2002 at 05:57 AM