Ready to jump...into tubes. Help!

anarchist

Martin---To play Iron Maiden properly? If you want to hit the same sound levels as a live performence an SET won't cut the mustard. For that you'll need considerabley more power even if using KHorns. Back in the 70s I listened to heavy bands like UFO, Mountain, Rush, Budgie and so forth. I played in bands back then and was also a bouncer for the main Rock and Roll show promoter in Chicago, I'd a pretty good idea of what live shows sounded like. At home I had LaScalas and a 200 wpc Dyanaco 400 amplifier and I would use the whole amp up, I pushed it until the amps clipping lamps were flashing. SETs with KHorns will get loud yes, but not live Rock and Roll loud. My tube amps get loud enough for me now, at the age of 53 I've mellowed, but if I was a young guy I'd be looking at the QSC SS amps. One of the best sounds I heard at the recent MidWest Horn Fest in Ohio was from a JBL horn rig driven by QSCs, very nice amps, prosound stuff.

Don't you listen to those bands anymore, Tom?

They are still good bands, even by today's standards.

Which 'ain't much as far as the commercial radio offerings.

Seen The Melvins at a sports bar this last Monday.

The P.A. was all JBL.

4 daul 18' cabs, and 4 3-ways of some sort.

Very clean.

And this is a power band, with a reputation of getting very loud.

The JBL system started to get noticible distortion after about a hour. (They played a hour and a half.)

Could it have been ear fatigue?

Or Pro-sound amps getting hot and starting to clip?

I dought if it was the cabinets.

Hell, who cares! It was a good show!!!!

Mike---It could'a been your ears, they can only take so much. My left ear goes into distortion before my right one does, I think because I had a crash cymbal not far from my left ear in my drumkit. Nah, I don't listen to much "heavy" music anymore. Today I was listening to Madonna and The North Mississippi AllStars.

This message has been edited by TBrennan on 05-19-2002 at 06:20 PM