What sub should I get?

Hockeyfan

Hey, I just joined the forum and need some opinions/recommendations for a sub. I have the Icon w series which includes a pair of wf-35's, pair of ws-24's for surrounds, and the wc-24 as my center. Right now i'm running the speakers on my yamaha rx- a2000. My room dimensions are 25' by 15' and 12ft high. Should I go for just one sub or two? Also what kind of sub would pair up nicely with the icon w series? I watch a lot of movies, and play music and video games frequently as well. My budget is $1000 and under

I appreciate any recommendations or advice you guys have.

Thanks,

Sean

Welcome to the forum! I have a similar set of speakers. I would normally recommend a high powered 10" for a combo of movies and music with those speakers (he SW-310 would be a good possability), however, you've got a pretty big room! Two 10s minimum...or two 12s or a 15. There are alot of internet direct subs that would do nicely. I'll let some of the others on here recommend as I haven't heard any. One good consideration for the budget conscience would be two RW-12ds from newegg.com. They regularly go on sale for 350.00 shipped to your door. Two (or three) of those would probably do the trick.

If your not going Klipsch then build one or two DIY subs. DIY subs are not only cheaper to make but far easier than building a Klipsch horn! Start here I did http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/ ALSO http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=155 Other than (IMHO the best members and mods) Klipsch forums, AVS & HTS are my next favorites If you don't already haunt those you really should many of us do.

That's a fairly large room (4500 cubic feet), and depending on your volume requirements, you may need a fairly large and powerful subwoofer (or preferably two). A single Hsu VTF-15H, SVS PB12-Plus DSP (or PC12-Plus), or Rythmik FV15-HP would be a good start in your price bracket. Adding a second sub later will yield a little bit extra output and help to tame the room if you spend the time to set it up properly.

My room dimensions are 25' by 15' and 12ft high. Should I go for just one sub or two? Also what kind of sub would pair up nicely with the icon w series? I watch a lot of movies, and play music and video games frequently as well. My budget is $1000 and under
I appreciate any recommendations or advice you guys have.
Thanks,
Sean

What's your location? You should buy the sub I have for sale.[:P]

See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/149697.aspx

You've got the ceiling space for it.

Even with the price of a darn good sub amplifier, you'd be well under $1000.

My room dimensions are 25' by 15' and 12ft high. Should I go for just one sub or two? Also what kind of sub would pair up nicely with the icon w series? I watch a lot of movies, and play music and video games frequently as well. My budget is $1000 and under I appreciate any recommendations or advice you guys have. Thanks, Sean

What's your location? You should buy the sub I have for sale.Stick out tongue

See: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/149697.aspx

You've got the ceiling space for it.

Even with the price of a darn good sub amplifier, you'd be well under $1000.

+1 for the already built sub, and it is a very good one as well. Many of us use horn loaded subs in this forum.

He has what he is asking in components alone. I would be surprised if you had more than $650 invested, unless shipping is involved.