Linn Records...

Chris A

Have you guys found any Linn recordings? Here is an outstanding example IMHO:

61x20uT637L._SS400_.jpg

I've got a few other Linn recordings coming from Amazon now (classical). They are really amazing on the Jubs in two channel mode or even better in multichannel mode, and may be the best recordings that I've got presently.

Not only is the music apropos for this time of year, this is the original Handel version actually performed (1742 in Dublin, Ireland). I've never been able to hear the words or the textures in the huge Mormon Tabernacle Choir productions, etc., etc. The vocal lines here do not have the flourishes apparent in the English version (which become rather tiring to my ears) and I've found that some of the compositions to be truly amazing--captivating--in fact. For instance:

Chorus: And the Glory of the Lord

Air: He shall feed his flock

Chris

I've received a couple more sets of Linn disks -

61dk7uZzGJL._SS500_.jpg

61Ea%2BVWcl6L._SS500_.jpg

These are both very, very good: the Messiah disks were amazing, however. Of the two collections above, I thought that the Beethoven disks were easier to find a good reference listening level.

The Handel recordings will certainly test your system for reproduction of string orchestras - and extremely well...there is a reference volume that I've found is useful for playback... and this playback level is sensitive to +/-1-2 dB(!) This is quite interesting, IMO: strings can sound very "steely" and artificial if too loud, and very flat/uninteresting if too soft. In general, I think the miking for string orchestras (and especially Handel Concerti Grossi) is very critical.

Maybe John Eargle's approach (Delos) was more robust for string orchestras--he used as many as 32 microphones on separate tracks when recording orchestras, and mixed them down later to two-track. However, the Linn recordings found here have a presence and liveness that are not on Eargle's recordings.

Chris