XPA-5 plus UMC-1 or Onkyo TX-NR709?

Tremors

I have an offer out there for an Onkyo TX NR3008. It's a small chance but there's a possibility I could get that and still stay close to my budget. Waiting to see if that pans out, if not then I'll make my final decision. I guess I'm slightly putting it off also cause I'm still torn between the 370 and the 709. I need to hurry up though cause the XPA-5 should be here tomorrow :) However, I won't be around the house to receive anything after tomorrow until next mon-weds anyways. So I've got a couple days to figure it out and still have it arrive one of those days. You? Did you purchase a new one already and if so from where?

Nothing yet. Leaning towards the 709 for a couple reasons. 1. Accessories4less is a known and trusted seller to me while I never heard of rage electronics before. 2. For $90 difference I get a little more power and more functionality. Which will make it easier to sell down the road should I ever want to. The 3008 would be nice but I can't justify the extra $600-$800 price tag for what you get. If you could get a deal then that's a diffent story. For the price of the 3008 I could get the 709 and an XPA-5.

Well, Great news! I ended up getting the Onkyo TX-NR3008 and picked it up today. I haven't set it up yet but this thing is a beast to move around, holy heavy, I think it weighs like 60+lbs. Also, I managed to stay within my budget of 800 and got this bad boy for 750, pretty stoked about that ;) I was a little leery about buying one of these used but this one was purchased in Feb/2011 and comes with a full five year warranty until Feb/2016 through the reputable local dealer where it was purchased at, this cost 149 by itself. So I figured what the hell, seems as safe as your ever gonna get buying something used, and I went for it. I still need to pick up those cables we were talking about from monoprice. I plan on using the XPA-5 for the fronts, center and L/R surround with the NR3008 powering the rear surrounds and in the future, front heights. This is another great thing (to me) that wouldn't have been an option with the 709, speaking of the front heights (or the extra two channels anyways). Additionally the NR 3008 utilizes the most advanced Auddysey software to date (I think), MultEQ XT32. So, yeah, Im ready to do this thing as soon as I get those darned cables ;)

Bud.... Killer deal. I would buy a 3008 for $750 in a second. Awesome deal. I had the 3007 and loved it (until it broke but that's another story). If you feel like selling it cause it sucks (sarcasm) let me know! Lol nice job finding a great avr. I didn't notice an improvement at all from my 3007 when I added the XPA-5. Try listening to the 3008 for a while... You may decide you font need an XPA-5.

Thx, I agree, another great score for me. Despite the fact that my excursion into this *addiction* has led me to spend much more than I ever thought I would over this last couple years, I couldn't be happier. Going from top of the line Synergy's to the RF/C/S 7's was a huge jump in improvement. Going from the 609 to the NR3008 with an XPA-5 tacked on, will I'm sure be another leaps and bounds kind of improvement. Doing this while staying at roughly 71% off retail costs for all of my gear combined, is in my opinion, amazing. This whole system that was acquired within the last six months came in at $3295. - Onkyo TX NR3008 - Emotiva XPA-5 - RF7's (cherry) - RSW15 (cherry) - (4) RS7's - RC7. I don't think I could beat that if I tried ;)

I forgot to mention that a big part of why I decided to get into the amp game was the fact that to get to reference level on the 609 meant turning it to 82/100 on the volume. No sure what that translates to in Db's cause I have my volume set to display volume level and not DB's. But, it seemed to me to be way too much pressure to be putting on the internal amps of the 609 to be pushing them at 82% power, with all channels driven, ever. Yes, I do reach these levels for somewhat sustained periods when demo'ing for friends or just playing around myself and we happen to leave the room for awhile, and I leave it running. Anyhow, Ill see if its too much or not. Can I even return the XPA if it is?

Emotiva does have a trial period although I'm not sure how long. I think most people would be surprised how loud the onkyo can go while staying crystal clear. I like the emo but it does have a loud noise floor. Ask subxero about that.. Lol. Things absolutely sound different from space to space to so you may find you need the amp. Anyway looks like your system is coming together nicely. I was in the same boat as you. Going from start to synergy f-3 and the 608 to the rf7ii and the 3007 (now the HT rc180 and XPA-5). It moves fast I tell ya!

Congrats on the purchase!

I forgot to mention that a big part of why I decided to get into the amp game was the fact that to get to reference level on the 609 meant turning it to 82/100 on the volume.

FWIW, the 3008 is a bit of a different animal than the 609. Both are THX certified receivers, but the 609 is a Select 2 model versus the Ultra 2 of the 3008. Some pertinent reading material:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1/feature-article-thx-1-2006-part-4.html

THX Select vs. Ultra

In 1999, THX launched THX Select, and renamed what had previously been called just THX to THX Ultra.

Whereas THX/THX Ultra was specified and designed for rooms "up to" 3000 ft3, THX Select took that requirement down to 2000 ft3. Both the requirements of the amplification and the output of the speakers were scaled back appropriately, placing THX in the hands of a whole new audience who could not have otherwise afforded it.

When it comes to amplification, continuous output tests are run on up to one, four, and five channels (simultaneously) of an Ultra product, but only one at a time on Select. With all products, the dynamic amplifier tests are done on up to all available channels. Ultra amplifiers must be stable on all channels to 3.2 ohms and swing an 18A peak, while Select products must be stable into 4 ohms (front channel) and 8 ohms (surrounds), and swing peaks of 12.5A and 6.2A respectively.

So, right off the bat, Select amplifiers have a lower bar to reach, but ultimately in meeting it, they will still cleanly drive any reasonably designed speaker to reference level in a Select-size room. What we are talking about here is the idea that the lower powered equipment can get a THX certification that will assure consumers that the really affordable stuff has met certain standards like the high-end equipment.

The THX Controller section features are no different between Select and Ultra, which is why you'll never see a Select preamp/processor (SSP), only Select Receivers.

Are you implying that you feel the XPA-5 may be un-necessary as well? I guess I'll figure it out once it's all hooked up, huh?

I believe it's a distinct possibility, and at a minimum worth a go. Obviously the way to tell 100% is as you say, hooking it all up and taking a listen.