Yet another Bi-amp question...

Klipschtastic

I have an Onkyo 8050 2 channel receiver running my rf3s. I know I could have bought a better power source but quite frankly I like the feature set of the 8050 since I can stream internet and use my ipod with the remote. I don't necessarily have a specific need or complaint to adress about my system but I like to tinker with things and experiment and it could always sound better.

I am thinking of Bi-amping them with a power amp running the woofers and my receiver running the tweeters. Is this possible? I have never used pre-outs before. Would hooking up the external power amp essentailly shut off the receiver's power and send all sound to the power amp?

Would it be ok sound wise to run a different brand of power amp than the receiver?

With such efficient speakers am I wasting my money? Will I likely notice a more bass acuracy or punch? More seperation in the mids and highs?

Thanks

Jon

On a less condescending note, you can still biamp on a budget. Some people reported quite satisfactory results even with cheaper active crossovers like Behringer and similar.

Just search for info around interwebs, and you will surely find something to suit you. Passive biamping is probably invented by cable sellers though.

you can still biamp on a budget. Some people reported quite satisfactory results even with cheaper active crossovers like Behringer and similar.

If you watch ebay or craigslist, you might find a used Behringer DCX2496 for much less than $200 - that would be the easiest way to get bang-for-buck, like Danzo mentioned. There may be cheaper alternatives, but probably not simpler ones.

The results I've found are worth the trouble, especially in cleaness of sound and bass definition. If you have any time misalignment between your tweeter and midrange/woofer, this unit can correct for this. That's a pretty big deal, even if there is as little as 1/4 inch (~6 mm) misalignment, depending on speaker type(s) and associated crossover frequencies.

You also get a good parametric EQ unit with it that will help you correct for peaking lf response. I've found this is also worth the trouble. It doesn't take a lot of investment to realize audible benefits.

Chris