Dead amplifier Help............

Duff

Sad news...my amp just died. It was nothing spectacular, just an older Nikko 7075, but i had grown slightly attached to the nice blue glow haha. Now i am stuck with my back-up a harman kardon 330i powering a pair of heresy I's, and for me, it isn't powerful enough (20WPC) and it is too thin sounding.

I am looking for advice/guidance/help. I am looking to replace this amp with something better. In the price range of around $250-300. I don't mind whether or not it is new or used, however having this one die on me, it would make me feel better if it were new or checked my a tech. My listening room is around 10x18ft, listening to it along the long side. I listen to just about every kind of music, hip hop, jazz, rock, classic ,reggae (love it all except country haha). I would be very willing to try something tube related, however i know at my price point i don't have tons of options. I listen to my music at a moderate to low volume about 70% of the time, and the other 30% i crank it and fall into a good CD. If there are any other questions i need to answer, ask them and i'll reply. Any suggestions, thoughts or direction would be great. Maybe one of you guys are looking to get rid of some equipment cause of the upgrade bug. Get back to me with some responses ASAP please, thanks in advance guys.

(ps, i was previously suggested to try a Denon 2000r, which i thought would be great however i couldn't afford to uprade at the time, and now i can't find one for less than $650 online...)

Duff,

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstran&1328487184&/Acurus-A250-

If you stretch your budget a bit more, I would like to suggest this Acurus. It will bring out a bass response you did not know your Heresys had. These amps make my RF-63s really come alive with a fast punchiness that is hard to believe. Very detailed highs.

When I first got the Acurus, I tested it with my Heresy's, Heresy II's, and Fortes and all really responded well in the bass department and the high end.

It's characteristics are a little on the brighter side of neutral but the added bass response is a clear tradeoff to any slight brightness that may be noticed.

I do feel that lower level listening detail has really improved also.

I just realized you might be talking about integrated amps so an 80's or 90's Denon PMA(integrated) will be a great choice in your budget range. The PMA-2000IVR is an excellent choice.

Bill

Bill

well you could probably get your Nikko fixed for your budget check into that.. You did not say what went wrong amp or otherwise. Can you still use the unit as a preamp? You might find a used Hafler DH200 or DH220 for your budget but you will need a pre or a volume control. The Hafler is a good amp and worthy of upgrading . A fully upgraded DH200 cah play next to just about anything you like but that will cost you still cheaper than buying new. Good luck best regards Moray James.