Some voices seem too loud

mjprima

I just purchased a Dennon 8302 and a pair of RF-5 speakers. I only have the 2 speakers currently and not a 5.1 set up yet.

I love the clarity of the RF-5 speakers, some recording sound so good I can't believe it, but on some recording the voices seem too loud compared with the instrumentation. I turn up the volume to hear the instrumentation more powerfully but of course that increases the level of the voices as well and then the voices seem to penetrating.

Is this just because I a not used to the speakers yet? Should I consider an equalizer? Would a sub-woofer help round out the sound more?

Is it safe to assume this is your first set of Klipsch speakers? Smile.gif

They are known for being very revealing, due to their sensitivity and horn-loaded tweeter (and mid's/bass on some models). This is what we love about them, but also what makes them merciless on source material. They can show up less-than-stellar recordings, poor equipment, etc...

Placement can often make a difference, too. You might experiment by pulling them away from the walls a bit, or toeing them in so are looking down the throats of the horns while seated in your favorite spot.

I'm sure others will have some ideas, as well...

Doug

------------------

My System

1) If some recordings sound really, really good, and others sound not so good, it's usually safe to assume that what you're hearing are the differences between the way the albums were recorded, mixed, or mastered. Some types of systems will more obviously reveal the differences between albums that will other systems. Klipsch speakers, which have inherently low levels of distortion and dynamic compression, will reveal differences in recordings to a greater degree than will most (er, okay, many) other speakers. Systems that have their own distortion (some speakers produce levels of 2nd and 3rd harmonic distortion that would be considered below even the most lenient standards of acceptable performance in amplifiers), or systems that suffer from highly compressed dynamics, or systems that don't reproduce the full frequency spectrum reasonably linearly, will tend to mask differences that more revealing systems show in sharp relief.

2) What were you listening to before you got the RF-5?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Thanks for the input. I am thinking that part of the problem may be the room acustics. It may be too reflective. Also, I am realizing that some recordings are much clearer at high volume levels than others.

I am still considering bringing home other types of speakers to see if I can find a softer high end. Maybe a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-M80's.

My previous system was a 15 year old Pioneer receiver with a 10 band EQ and inexpensive Yamaha speakers. I am still using the same CD player. A mid-priced Sony 5 disk player that doesn't have a digital out.

Could the CD player make a difference in clarity?

The CD Player could make all the difference. I was using a Sony CDP-315 and found it harsh and destrorted with the volume up. While my newer DVD player was smoother and much more tolerable. I just score a CDP-CA7ES 5 disc changer off ebay and it has a much smoother and detail presentation then both my other players.

See if you can borrow a different player to try on your system.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

Grado cartridge

Sony CDP315 CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I

KSW-15 Subs>c>