New RF-82 II home theater package planned, do I need a new receiver?

bwolfindy

Planning on picking up a new home theater package consisting of the RF-82 II fronts, the RC-62 II center and probably the RS-52 II surrounds. I'm currently running an older Marantz SR5000 at 70w per channel with my current B&W bookshelf theater. I was wondering if I needed to upgrade my receiver to run the new speaks. If so, how much power do I need to look for and are there any recommendations? I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money on a new receiver if I can avoid it.

I have an RF-82 system and originally used my Denon 1804, 90 watt receiver to run the speakers they sounded great. However after reading comments on the forum and looking at what everyone else was using I decided to upgrade to a Denon 3311, 125 watts per channel. There was a nice sound improvment and then I bought an Emotiva xpa-3, 200 watt amp and used the Denon receiver as a pre pro with it and ran the 2 rear RS52's thru the receiver. When I made this final change the speakers were so smooth, clear and loud I have lost the upgrade bug for now. Someday maybe RF-7's & RC64's. Good luck with your stereo.

I should add that is system's primary use will be for a dedicated home theater...I won't be listening to music in this room at all. Right now I'm running B&W 602 fronts with the LCR6 center and 600 rears with a Velodyne sub. I'm really looking to just get a broader soundstage and more powerful sound.

• Moderators

I should add that is system's primary use will be for a dedicated home theater...I won't be listening to music in this room at all.

Why ?

There are alot of great DVD's and Bluray concerts, multi channel music sounds great on a system set up properly for Ht.

I should add that is system's primary use will be for a dedicated home theater...I won't be listening to music in this room at all.

Why ?

There are alot of great DVD's and Bluray concerts, multi channel music sounds great on a system set up properly for Ht.

Maybe he doesn't listen to music? Anyway, subxero is right about the crossover point and power. However keep in mind if you cross your speakers at 80hz your not taking full advantage of those bad boys.