What is your experience with the Mode M40 headphones noise canceling?

kauf

I received my pair of M40s, and I'm not sure what to expect from the noise canceling. I've had other noise canceling headphones in the past (Bose, etc.) and there has been a noticeable difference when noise canceling is turned on (almost a white noise is present, and all low level background noise disappears). With the M40s I hear no noticeable difference, I've tried them with the TV on in the background, road noise, etc. and there is no noticeable difference between on and off. I returned one pair because of this issue, just received my replacement pair, and I've got the same issue. Is it possible I got two faulty pairs? Or is this just how they are supposed to work?

What's your experience? What do you hear when you turn the noise canceling on? I talked to a Klipsch product support rep and they said they are technically noise isolating and not noise canceling and work differently from what you'd get from other manufacturers, but they are marketing them as noise canceling, so I'm not sure if he was correct.

Good to hear I'm not crazy. :-)

I think the actual sound quality is about as good as I've heard from a pair of headphones, but the noise canceling leaves a lot to be desired.

These are also the tightest pair of headphones I've owned. I've got an above average head size, but these are beyond tight. I found that placing them over the box they came in for a couple nights was enough to stretch them out and they're now a comfortable fit.

Dude, you have the exact same experience as me. Soundwise I'm happy but think they need a bit of burn in time. I also think they are way too tight! Not comfortable for me, I will try the box trick. Waiting for a review to come out, would be interesting to hear what is said of the noise canceling.

I'm doing my best, in queue to get a review unit. I got a listen at an airport (Brookstone store). The floor model should never be the model you use to review a headphone but I must say, it wasn't the most invigorating sound experience. I felt the Klipsch Image One was superior in sound quality. Again, this was a floor model which might have been abused so I won't pass judgement on them. I'll definitely review them as soon as I can get a unit.

The X10s are a bit more dynamic and when fitted correctly and the bass response is bit more accurate. The x10s passive noise cancelling is at least as good as the M40 active function. The M40 seems to bit louder when the noise cancelling is on, The noise cancelling it self works but seems a bit less effective than the sennheisers 450 and even the poor sounding bose over the ear versions.

• 1 month later...

Mine do ont noise cancel anymore...

With no music turn them off... listen...

then turn the noise canceling on... Nothing. No difference.

these are brand new

Chaqnge out the free battery and put in Duracell..

same same.. like they do not have Active noice Canceling as advertised...

• 2 weeks later...

Per Amy in the other thread: "I'm sorry about the trouble. We have seen this complaint from a small number of customers and have since taken corrective action. If you are experiencing this, we do recommend you contact Klipsch customer service if located in the US, or the retailer from which you purchased the product if outside the US."

• 1 month later...

Just got my M40's and they're going back. I could barely tell when the noise cancellation was on. Did anyone at Klipsch wear these before ok'ing them? Perhaps compare to other $350 headphones?

The sound is badly colored and weak. It's easy to distort them even with my computer. I compared A/B with my Sennheisers that cost $79 and the Senns are much smoother and less tin boxy sounding.

LIke ive said before.. NO body is a bigger klipsch fan/junkie than I am. I am disspointed in this product as well as many of the new cheap lines they've introduced.

I just got a set of M40's and I'm very happy with them. First use was for on a 5.5 hour flight from San Francisco to Miami.

I watched 3 movies and listened to a bit of music over the entire trip and did not get ear fatigue or heaviness at all.

The white noise for the noise cancelling feature is not very strong but once you add some music or sound it blocks out everything.

The sound from my music is fine too but I need to upgraded to some FLAC stuff to really give an opinion.

I was looking for a set for awhile and finally bit the bullet and paid the $350 retail price at Fry;s.

I like them very much.