advice for new Klipsch powner

nycspace

Just bought a pair of rp3's and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for setting up a good two channel system. Have aceess to many older used amps and recievers in nyc. right now i am running it on an Onkyo R1 which i know nothing about anyone ever hear of it? and whats the best speaker cable. Thanks to all

nycspace,

Welcome. Congratulations on the purchase of your RP3's. You're sure to get loads of suggestions for setting up your 2 channel system. A few things you will need to state are;

Do you prefer solid state or tube powered amps?

What audio source components will you use, analog and/or digital?

How much do you plan to spend for each?

What are your musical tastes and listening room dynamics?

As for the "best" speaker cable, that's a matter of personal preference and your budget. You will find the choices of Forum members runs for zip cord to very esoteric cables with networks within the wiring. Some will say spend the least, some will say spend as much as possible. You can search past posted topics for some backround on wire discussions. I use Bedrock cable by AudioQuest. It's not the most expensive, but definitely nowhere near the cheapest. Let the fun begin!

Klipsch out.

2 Channel system #1

1974 Belle Klipsch

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs

Cary SLP90L Preamplifier

Asusa modified PP-1 Phono preamplifier

Rega 3 turntable, Rega 300 tonearm; Grado

Rega Planet CD player

AudioQuest Bedrock speaker cables

Silver Audio Hyacinth interconnects

I personally would recommend the heavy guage copper speaker wire from Home Depot. I know of some K-horn and pro owners who use it and have used it myself. I really don't see much importance in buying very expensive wire unless you plan to span extreemely large spaces.

The shorter the wire, the less difference it makes.

I know there is a Home Depot in Brooklyn in Redhook that is open 24hrs. I think the F train will get you pretty close, but I'm not sure which stop would be best, maybe the one after Carrol Street.

Just a question, how big is your apartment and how do they sound there? I have a very small apartment and think buying new horn speakers might be overpowering for such a small space.

Also, I am a big fan of heavy late 70's ss amps. I think the new ones tend to sound to mechanical.

i use an harmon kardon hk3370 amp and a sony cx90es for source with my rp3s, and everything sounds great. i can't really recommend anything beyond this as that's all i've heard, but whatever you decide, buy it on ebay. i got the hk3370 for $199 brand new on ebay even though it is suppossed to retail for $500+. everyone is getting in to 5.1 right now, so pretty much all 2 channel equipment is selling for a fraction of the original price, hopefully you got your rp3s at a fraction of the original price as well. i got mine on ebay for $575 brand new. if you're having trouble deciding on a specific amp or source, check out the consumer reviews on www.audioreview.com (this site helped me pick the rp3s).

as for speaker cable, be sure to buy cable that is shielded, balanced, and has 24k gold rca connectors to prevent corrosion. you should also consider bi-wiring your speakers. klipsch recommends it for improving clarity and imaging. i bought monster cable m1.4s biwire speaker cable (also on ebay) which is specifically designed for biwiring and it worked great.

------------------

two channel old schooler

thanks for the advice, i also bought on ubid. i am running it on an onkyo tx 840 (also known as an R1) which i know nothing about. recently was offered a Kenwood km 105 and kc 105 set up for almost nothing anyone know about them. I m also looking at the HK pa 2000 on ubid, any ideas? as far as the Brooklyn apt dweller, as i live in queens and work in brooklyn i know all too well about limted space. the speakers are a bit powerful for my place but it was a great deal and i plan too use these for many years so eventually i will not have that worry. I also have a post in problems, my kg1 woofer is not working( i assume its the internal tinsel) anyone know a speaker repair place in area thats good, esp queens

I would replace the woofer with one from the Klipsch website- they carry a great selection of replacement parts. This should cost you less and be more reliable than trying to repair the old one. Relpacing it yourself should be pretty easy.

I have no idea who to use in the area. I'm sure you know that people will gouge you here if you aren't on your toes. I would be interested in finding a reputable shop here myself for future reference.

Where are you finding these great amps so cheap. I usually buy of ebay, is there someone in the area that has good deals?

Larry