Random rant about black bars when I watch movie!

carbon summit

I think both of your suggestions have been made already, the point of the pointless rant was to stimulate conversation on the forum. Just to see what others think and see if others feel the same frustration I do with the multi sized formats out there. Nothing too serious really was expected to come from it.

The problem with A is that 20% of my screen goes unused regardless of how big I buy and still leaves me with that same feeling of wasted space, and B is a good idea but my current living room doesn't allow for a projector but I can see someday getting one if we buy a different house in a few years. Thats the plan for a few years down the road.

Do you watch any TV on your set? That should fill the screen, HD broadcasts anyway.

I watch football on OTA because the picture quality is much better than I get on Dish Network, but other than that I really don't watch much TV. Its funny, I just had a conversation at work that I'd give up dish (or cable if thats what we had) long before I'd give up my internet service. When I watch something its usually movies on blu ray.

Again this thread was started more in jest to get other's opinions about the black bars. The ultra-wide TVs in the link above would be cool for blu ray watching then you'd have black bars on the sides when watching TV. I don't know that there will ever be a standardized format so I guess its something I just need to accept and move on. Sounds like the projector idea might leave me with a similar complaint, except this time it will be that I bought a screen and I'm only using some of it!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic